3l GTV6 PRC project

Started by redalfaracing, January 24, 2009, 07:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv58

Greg, the car is looking fantastic....I love it!!
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

redalfaracing

Thanks Phil, you know talking to you and Barry at that CAMS night at sandow race course last year inspired me to finally build my dream car.

But it's not finished yet. Keep an eye on it over the next couple of months. Got big plans for it!!! ;)

The log book paperwork went through at CAMS today. Talk about cutting it fine. They close for the year at noon tomorrow. Next year the cage won't comply any more. It would need that bar from the top of the "A" pillar , vertically down. How do you reckon you would get in and out of it. Another dumb CAMS regulation. The sooner CAMS board gets spilled the better , then we can get some regulations that promote grass roots motorsport instead of imposing FIA standards willy nilly and driving mum,dad and kids competitors away!

I'll get of the soap box now.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

redalfaracing

Jim, here is a close up of the electrical panel. The standard engine loom will allow you to mount everything here with a bit of work. no wires need to be cut, just the sleeving.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

The log book arrived express post from CAMS today. That was great service from Victoria.  :)

So, now no excuse not to go rallying!!

Hope to get a run in the George Woods.

See you there Mat??? Have some s/h tyres for you.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

Mat Francis

Yes, so far still looking good Greg. Progress slowed a little last week but that was to be expected. Another trip through the twisties to your place? Gee that's a shame...

Oh, and where abouts should i be looking for the entry form, etc?
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

redalfaracing

We wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year.May Santa bring your pressies in an Alfa powered sleigh.

Quote from: Mat Francis on December 24, 2009, 05:20:36 PM
Oh, and where abouts should i be looking for the entry form, etc?

Mat, when the sup regs and entry form comes out i'll email it to you.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

Happy new year to you all.

Has anyone been down the single tail shaft road?

I have done a bit of home work on it. From the posts on all the alfa forums it seems that if you put a single tail shaft in with uni's you get some? engine vibration resonating from the tail shaft. I understand that perhaps if the tail shaft is carbon fibre that it will be minimal to negligable.

So, i have hunted for composite tail shafts. There apears to be a crowd in California that will manufacture to your requirements for around $2k. I can think of a lot of things that $2k will buy!

I stumbled upon a shaft from a production car that will be a perfect fit.

To fit the shaft with the uni's i need a different flange for the gear box. Before i go tromping round the wreckers comparing diff flanges, does anyone know of a four bolt flange that will fit on the clutch shaft of the transaxle. Does a 105 have a 4 bolt flange on its diff and does it fit the spline on a gtv6 clutch shaft?

The front yoke i will leave on the shaft and have a splined shaft made with a 3 bolt flange that will mate up with the 3 bolts on the v6 flywheel.

BTW, the new shaft weighs in at less than 6 kg. The gtv6 shaft with donuts weighs around 13 kg. Big difference in rotational mass!

som pics for you to check out.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

jimnielsen

Brilliant - what car is the tailshaft from? I had Beninca's make me up a two piece 'doughnutless' shaft, that was also much lighter than the original. It was 3.5k including a steel flywheel to suit. The flywheel connected to the driveshaft with a simple commodore CV joint - uni joint and flange to join to the gearbox.... Its on Hammers Giulietta now..Using a CV joint is good because they (a) have enough lateral stretch to enable removal of the entire shaft from the car without touching the engine or the gearbox and (b) don't require precise alignment of the engine and gearbox.

jim ~
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

MD

Greg,

Here's one solution I use at the clutch end that includes a slip joint to allow easy removal of the shaft as described by Jim. The centre locating hole size is important to match the size of the input shaft spigot. Likewise this reduces alignment issues to a small degree. Having said that, if you dont get the alignments true, ultimately the propshaft will flog the nose piece of the clutch housing to destruction- just ask me...

BTW If you don't use a rubber coupling at the engine end, the hammering noise down the shaft under 1800rpm could drive you nuts.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

hammer

Greg,

Just for the sake of my curious mind, did the California crowd give any indication of the weight of the carbon shaft?

Cheers,

Brent

jimnielsen

An implementation of a single piece drive shaft in Stainless Steel in an Alfa 75. (in my post above I meant that the shaft cost $3500. It didn't weigh 3.5kg...)

jim~
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

MD

Jim,

That shaft appears to be a couple of hundred mm shorter than standard but it's very hard to be definitive about that figure just by looking at the photos. Do we know how long it really is by any chance?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

jimnielsen

No, I don't know, but it is shorter. The engine is moved backwards into the car body a little but the 116 type transaxle is still in the normal position.
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

redalfaracing

The shaft is out of a Mazda RX8. The manual has a composite shaft, the auto has a steel shaft. The deal is that they are an unservicable item. Mazda say that the uni's can't be replaced. so, throw the shaft away. How much as a genuine part i hear you ask? $1900 list, trade $1760. I got mine from the states for about $200 landed. Second hand from a wrecker but uni's are ok. I know a bloke who fixes Sprinter tail shafts. built exactly the same way. Fiddly, but possible. I thought the 200 bucks was a good deal for a composite shaft. I reason if it can handle the grunt and rpm of a turbo rotary it can put up with the output of a V6 Alfa.

Interesting rear flange mod MD. last resort,  i still want to try to find a 4 bolt flange that will fit the clutch input shaft. I hear what you say about the donut at the front. Has anyone actually fitted a composite shaft with no donut at the front. If not, i am thinking someones gotta try it out to see what happens. For the sake of a splined shaft and a plate i'm willing to test the theory that the composite shaft wont have the same resonance issues as a steel one. Any thoughts?
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: redalfaracing on January 04, 2010, 09:27:16 PM
The shaft is out of a Mazda RX8. The manual has a composite shaft, the auto has a steel shaft. The deal is that they are an unservicable item. Mazda say that the uni's can't be replaced. so, throw the shaft away. How much as a genuine part i hear you ask? $1900 list, trade $1760. I got mine from the states for about $200 landed. Second hand from a wrecker but uni's are ok. I know a bloke who fixes Sprinter tail shafts. built exactly the same way. Fiddly, but possible. I thought the 200 bucks was a good deal for a composite shaft. I reason if it can handle the grunt and rpm of a turbo rotary it can put up with the output of a V6 Alfa.

I didn't think RX-8s were turbo?  I assume you've been researching among the guys who've done turbo conversions to their RX-8s though....  As standard, the only gear an RX-8 will put more torque through the tailshaft than a 3 litre alfa V6 is 1st (due to their ridculously short 1st gear and short diff ratio), but the tailshaft is spinning at half the speed it would in an Alfa....

Interesting move though, will be paying attention (and committing RX-8 tailshafts to memory for other projects that mates have on the go).  Out of curiousity, how long is that tailshaft?