I learn something new!

Started by LukeC, July 11, 2023, 07:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LukeC

So I thought I knew a lot about my GTV. Like, I bought it as a rolling shell and have had almost every part of it apart. Yet recently I learnt something I didn't know...
It started with doing a bit of wheeling and dealing with a client to upgrade my current (real) Recaro seats to ones with bigger bolsters. The old Recaros are going to the 105 stash (so don't ask if that are for sale...)
The recaros I ended up with had an awful black and white vinyl upholstery so a retrim was in order. Materials chosen and trimming done, then rear seat to match front... Well, you know where this is going! Door trims next and now it's all looking pretty smick inside, but a rather stained headlining. So last of all the headling in a more modern looking dark grey stretchy cloth material (with I may add was 10-fold easier to fit than vinyl.
I also decide I want a useful courtesy light in the car (placed better than in the in the B-pillars like the useless, self-destructing garbage Alfa originally fitted). I chose from my stash of NOS parts a nice Altissimo courtesy lamp with a three-position switch.
Bracket made and installed in between the sun roof and sun visors, I re-route the wires and install the headlining. A neat and unobtrusive install, I go to test... But: the light stays on when the switch is in the position where the door switches should shut it off!!! I scratch my head and wonder how this can happen... In any case, I now have a useful courtesy lamp... I just have to turn it on manually.
A few weeks go by and I am sorting myself out before I head off one evening. Turn the courtesy light on and mess about. Only for it to turn off about 15 seconds later. I happened to notice a click from the fuse box. Open door, light comes on, close door, light goes off after 15 seconds.
So: after owning 5 or so Alfetta GTVs over 30+ years, I learn that there is a time delay on the door switch function. Just probably none had useful/functioning courtesy lights.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

festy

Are you sure that's not an aftermarket addition?
All of my Alfettas (77,79,79) have had working lights (to some degree) but they were all directly switched - not via a relay let alone a fancy time delay relay.

I just checked the Haynes Alfetta wiring diagram and the 1987 update, neither show a relay of any sort.

doorswitchschematic.png

doorswitchschematic2.png 

Anth73

My '82 GTV has a courtesy light timer and it is shown in the 1983 GTV owners manual factory lighting wiring diagram.
Now:
2012 Giulietta QV
1982 GTV6 3L fast road build
1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce...the long term project
1970 1750 GTV project car for sale

Then:
2002 156 2.5V6 Manual
2012 159 2.4JTDm Sportwagon
1973 2000 GTV with a 1750 rear half...that was a shame!
Alfa 90 (only for its engine mounts)

GTVeloce

My 86 also has the courtesy light timer, although it didn't work so I have removed it and replaced with a neat little JayCar unit.

The original unit is attached to the brace that runs under/behind the dash, directly above the fusebox. Probably easiest to see if you remove the drivers side fresh air vent and rubber piece. Or adopt 'the position' (lying on your back in the drivers footwell with your legs outside the car and your head wedged next to the pedals).

Both of my old 83 models did not have the timer.

Alfapride

My gtv and Giulietta had this feature, there is a timer in the dash normally the capacitors fail causing the delay to stop working this relay mechanism is easily rebuilt if you know some basic soldering and electronics
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce