3.2 JTS High Pressure Fuel Pump/Pressure Relief Valve Problems?

Started by Ascari32, May 31, 2023, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ascari32

I believe I have a failed JTS Pump or perhaps it's associated Pressure Regulator Valve. Progressively the noise from under the bonnet increased from a low whirring to a real racket. The clattering is most loud at tick - over, diminishing on accelerating. A couple of extra clues are, difficulty in starting as I believe the fuel pressure in the system is not being maintained and what appears to be "pulsing" in the rubber Bleed - Back Hose.

Otherwise, the engine is running fine but I am conscious of the hammer - effect this may have on the camshaft pump lobe. I cannot get the car into the garage until the 13th of June but I am also concerned as what appears to be Allen bolts, have only five sides. They are not TORX and the only information seems to be is they are security bolts - as used with some braking systems.

There seems to be two sizes available 10mm. and 6mm., of which these would probably be 6mm. However, I cannot find a suppliers anywhere. Does anyone have any further information/advice as to problem or where I can source the tool for these Pentagon bolts. The bolts are in a very difficult location, certainly for my hands and without the proper tools it is virtually impossible to get either the pressure regulating valve or the JTS pump off.

I am going to remove the front cam cover later on today to check for any wear/damage to the exhaust cam/JTS pump lobe and would prefer to have as much information to hand before the garage tackles the problem. If I could find the right tools, it wouldn't be too much to get the solenoid valve off - fiddly and knuckle grazing yes, however, there are only two bolts and one connecter.

That is assuming I am on the right track!!!!!!       

Ascari32

Quote from: Ascari32 on May 31, 2023, 09:50:10 PMI believe I have a failed JTS Pump or perhaps it's associated Pressure Regulator Valve. Progressively the noise from under the bonnet increased from a low whirring to a real racket. The clattering is most loud at tick - over, diminishing on accelerating. A couple of extra clues are, difficulty in starting as I believe the fuel pressure in the system is not being maintained and what appears to be "pulsing" in the rubber Bleed - Back Hose.

Otherwise, the engine is running fine but I am conscious of the hammer - effect this may have on the camshaft pump lobe. I cannot get the car into the garage until the 13th of June but I am also concerned as what appears to be Allen bolts, have only five sides. They are not TORX and the only information seems to be is they are security bolts - as used with some braking systems.

There seems to be two sizes available 10mm. and 6mm., of which these would probably be 6mm. However, I cannot find a suppliers anywhere. Does anyone have any further information/advice as to problem or where I can source the tool for these Pentagon bolts. The bolts are in a very difficult location, certainly for my hands and without the proper tools it is virtually impossible to get either the pressure regulating valve or the JTS pump off.

I am going to remove the front cam cover later on today to check for any wear/damage to the exhaust cam/JTS pump lobe and would prefer to have as much information to hand before the garage tackles the problem. If I could find the right tools, it wouldn't be too much to get the solenoid valve off - fiddly and knuckle grazing yes, however, there are only two bolts and one connecter.

That is assuming I am on the right track!!!!!!       

Well, I managed to get the Fuel Rail Pressure Switch off and replace it with a "Known" spare - from my blown 159 engine. Nothing changed - well it did actually. It eliminated that as the problem. So far from being a failure or wasted effort; a) it got me a bit more hands - on experience of the 3.2 JTS and it's ""Niceties"", and b) it removed one more possible element from the equation.

So the next step is to remove the JTS Pump pressure regulating valve/solenoid. However, it is fitted with the peculiar "Pen - star" Hex bolts, which I am at a loss to find its associated tool/key. However, the solenoid was quickly removed from my spare by one of the Fast Test mechs, who have long dealt with my car, using a pair of grips.

It came off ok, but can see the difficulty when refitting it - on the car. I think I will get it off ok, but doubt I will be able to re-tighten it.

However, I recently fitted new window switch inserts to each of the doors - nice shiny black ones. The colour coded ones are  manky, the "Beige", paint grubby and the base colour - black - showing through. However, these replacements only use one hex bolt whereas my 06 model has two. Which left four spare bolts once the job was done.

And it just so happens, they are the same size as the "Pen Bolts" as fitted to the JTS pump. So I should be able to get the pen bolts off, with the pump insitu and replace them with the redundant Hex bolts from the door switch inserts - result. All I have to do is shorten them a little.   

Regulator Valve..jpg

Ascari32

I have been sitting at a table, filing down the over - sized Pen tool with a set of needle files. Still a way to go, but there is at least no risk of taking too much off as it takes forever, given the steel is so hard.

Living in a village, I can't even get to an engineering shop to have them machine a tool up for me - taxi's everywhere at the moment; Covid Jab, for my wife and I and more to the shops. I suppose I ought to be grateful the weather is so good and the pub is just across the fields a mile away. However, I need to get it finished ready for the garage next week as they don't have a tool to take the JTS Pump off either.

When finished, it shouldn't take long to change the solenoid or the pump and I have already changed the pressure sensor on the rear HP line, which sits in the "Vee". That was easy - when eventually I got the right tool - a 27mm. crows foot I bought for taking off my GTV oil cooler.

However, I am a little concerned that the 3bar: I think it is 3bar, fuel pump in the tank may be the problem. So I need to check that out. I am trying to cover all possibilities so I can get the car back on the road soonest. I already missed an All Italian Car Day at Sywell near Silverstone which I was looking forward to, followed on by going from there onwards to visit our son in Cheshire. Just frustrated the car is sitting outside the house, but do not want to drive her for fear of making matters worse.