Alfetta gtv "starts" but won't run

Started by Paulos, May 27, 2023, 08:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulos

I posted up a few weeks back that I was having an issue on a 77 gtv, where using the indicators were causing the car to "turn off". It's intermittent unfortunately. I've been prepped to install a relay as many have suggested, but thought I'd go through and clean up a few connections, check grounds etc. The indicator flasher unit was an aftermarket piece that didn't fit comfortably, so I replaced it and things have seemed to be ok since.

After another connection cleanup session however, the car will now fire but won't actually run. The battery was disconnected while I was working, and all of the connections seem to be properly back in place. I was working one wire at a time, to keep it simple.
Any suggestions before I drag it down to the auto electrician?

festy

If it starts but then dies as soon as you let go of the key, check the ignition supply to the coil.
The coil should have a green wire and a green/black wire with spade connectors plugged in right next to each other - the green wire supplies direct 12v while starting, and the green/black wire supplies about 7v via the ballast resistor when the key returns to the ignition position.
...Unless my memory is bad and the wire colours are around the other way, but its easy to confirm by looking at the wire coming from the ballast resistor.

Check that you have voltage getting to the coil with the key in the ignition position. If not, check if you have voltage getting to the ballast resistor.
Its more likely to be a loose/disconnected wire at the coil than a bad ballast resistor, but they can fail.

If your connection cleanup was only around the ignition switch, maybe start by re-checking those connections. Does your alternator light come on with the key in the ignition position?

Paulos

Fantastic,thanks mate, that made it very easy to find. The green/black wire wasn't properly seated in the fusebox. It felt like it was fully connected but it's right in the middle and a bit awkward to get to.
Thanks again, happy days