Indicators/ignition issue

Started by Paulos, May 07, 2023, 04:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulos

Went out for a drive this morning in the Alfetta Gtvand found that using the indicators caused the engine to die. Had to turn the key off, pause then restart. Car was running fine apart from this.
I'm going to start checking for a short, cleaning up grounds etc, and possibly wire a relay into the ignition circuit as I've seen suggested in a few posts. Just wondering if this is a common issue, or one that has cropped up before?
Cheerd

GTVeloce

It is possible that you have a short somewhere causing the issue but my money is that your ignition switch is struggling to keep up and the extra load from the indicators is too much. The single best simple improvement you can make to these cars is add an ignition relay if doesn't have one. It is simple to do and means other things have a better chance of working and your ignition switch doesn't burn out prematurely.

The easiest access point is the connection terminal near the ignition switch (hidden under the cowl). While you are there, check your wires for the indicators to make sure they look healthy. But best place to wire in the relay is in the fuse box provided you are fairly electrically competent.

Paulos

Thanks mate, I'm not particularly good on car electrics, but I have a mate who is. I'll get the relay in there and see how we go. Thanks again