75 Spring Choices

Started by GTVeloce, April 04, 2023, 09:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

I tried to buy another set of King Springs for my 75 and they are no longer being made! They seem to be making the standard height sets but not the lowered version.

So, does anyone have a set in good condition they are willing to part with? Chasing KARL-05. Or any other suggestions? I know options are available from O/S vendors but would prefer to buy locally and save on cost/freight if possible.

GTVeloce

Not having much luck finding king springs anymore sadly so need to look elsewhere.

What are others using in the back of their 75? This is a road car so not looking for track springs but lower and stiffer (but not crazy stiff) would be preferred. I am currently running the standard height King spring at the rear and the spring rate is ok but the height isn't and I can't cut these springs.

Colin Edwards

I have Eibach springs in the rear of my 75.  Lowered the rear 15mm < 20mm.   

https://www.eibachshop.co.uk/eibach-prokit-performance-spring-kit-e1004120_p31222924.htm

Or have the King spring free length reset?

Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

MD

GT Veloce,

What is the free height of the KARL-05 ?

I may have a set that will work.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

GTVeloce

Thanks for the responses. Another forum member sent me a link to the Eibachs through EB Spares (which incidentally are cheaper than through the Eibach site). I have emailed Eibach for the spring rates to see how they compare. As reference, the King Springs KARL-05 are 95-155lbs (progressive rate spring). I always found this quite good for a road car. I'm sure a dedicated track car would want firmer but the roads in Eastern Melbourne are rubbish!

MD - I'm not sure what the free length of KARL-05 are. I have a set but they are installed in my GTV. I'd prefer not to remove them unless I have to.

I have also found another source from the Netherlands. Never heard of this supplier but lots of Alfas that way!
https://www.psr-parts.com/products/cobra-suspension-lowering-springs-alfa-romeo-75-2wd-162-40mm-00-1003?contact_posted=true#contact-contact6954059268305

Also a progressive spring - dual rate. I asked for the spring rate and was given 27N/mm which I am guessing is the firmer setting. I did some calculation and it came out very similar to the KARL-05 firmer rate.

MD

GTVeloce

I have just measured a spare set  of KARL 05 I have that measure a free height of 400mm. Send me a PM if they are of any interest to you.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0