156 GTA Centre tunnel disassembly

Started by Dr Alfa, April 18, 2023, 12:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Alfa

I'm in the process of stripping the sticky stuff off all the window switch surrounds and wanted to tackle the centre tunnel and black strip that runs up around the gear stick, just below the A/C switches.

Does anyone have a detailed "how to guide" for pulling this apart? Couldn't find anything on  youtube/forums except for a brief outline on Ausalfa.

poohbah

Haven't fully dismantled mine before, but my one bit of advice is be gentle and take your time. The plastics can get pretty brittle over time, and you don't want to crack anything.

The silver plastic surround for the gear change just lifts out - from memory it has a handful of spring clips that you need to lever out carefully, and you have to undo the gear shift gater to lift it up over he knob. Also be careful disconnecting the leads to the switches for the mirrors, fog-lights and ASR-off.

Once you've pulled that out, I think there might be some retaining screws visible holding the console frame to the body.

But pics of this console for sale on ebay might help guide you where all the screws and retainers might be hidden:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123730561718?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=G_5A3YFZTyK&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

whoops - that won't be exactly the same being from an earlier non-GTA 156, so mirror and lights switches are in different location.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Dr Alfa

Thanks for the tip.

I'm a bit anxious about it because I'm not the best at this fiddly stuff. However I've stripped the window switches and resprayed them using the duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint and they look like brand new, so I'm keen to try and tackle the sticky coating on the centre tunnel at some stage soon.

poohbah

Definitely something to do yourself, just be patient.

I'm now trying to work myself up to having a crack at removing and repairing my saggy headliner.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)