2015 Giulietta first service (for us)

Started by LukeCr, April 25, 2023, 10:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LukeCr

As discussed in another post here,  I recently purchased  a 2015 Giulietta  with 85,000ks for our daughters first car.  We gave it a fairly significant check pre purchase at a mechanics,  but just as a second reassurance, we also gave it the full 90k service a little early.   This was also part of the deal for our daughter  (who will be the main car driver) that she either had to pay for the full service,  or buy the parts and help with the work.  As you can see from the shots,  she checked the prices and decided to go with doing the work ourselves.  I also think its good to get familiar with a car and get your hands dirty as an owner.

Parts were from our local repco,  and aside from the spark plugs,  were fairly reasonably priced.  It was $360 for 5L of 5W 30 oil ,  The Air filter, the Oil Filter amd the 4 spark plugs .  The spark plugs were the lions share of the bill at $47 each ,  the oil was around  $80 for 5l.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that the widely advertised  "Alfa Tax"  wasn't hitting us for these generic parts. 

We were also pleasantly suprised with the service itself.  The usual gripes of small modern FWD cars with super cramped engine bays amd engineering that didn't give a thought for the poor mechanics who had to work on the car didnt seem to be an issue.  We had easy access to the spark plugs, air filter and sump.    I should also admit that we did have access to a proper mechanics lift and tools that made life significantly easier than crawling under a car on jack stands. 

The one gripe however was the Oil filter.   I'd read on a few places (including here)  that to access the oil filter we'd need to remove the drivers side front wheel,  then all the plastic flashing (2pcs and over a dozen screws)  ,  then engage in some chinese acorobat style contortions to get at the oil filter cap.   We did all of that as directed,  located the oil filter from underneath, then realised it was going to be a nightmare to try to undo when reaching up from the front wheel arch.    In desperation we lowered the car and had a look from above and  the top of the oil filter, was within easy reach right under the bonnet!  All our pissing about with wheels and flashing had been for nought!   I suspect Id been reading directions for accessing the oil filter on a QV or other more advanced model  (we have the fairly basic 1.4l "Distinctive"),  but this error prob cost us 30 - 45 minutes of pulling off,  then reattaching various plastic bits. 

So,  all up Im pleased to say a fairly amateur mechanic and a P plater had no real issues doing the scheduled service.   Engine access was fairly easy and parts were in no way extortionate.  We will definitely get a pro to do the timing belt when that comes around, but its looking good for self servicing apart from those big events.

bazzbazz

Quote from: LukeCr on April 25, 2023, 10:19:23 PM
It was $360 for 5L of 5W 30 oil

Ah, hope that's a typo otherwise you've used the wrong oil, and that's not a good idea on MultiAir engines, as they are very critical when it comes to the correct oil, as using the wrong type can "brick" the MultiAir actuator. (I'm not kidding)

I use Penrite myself & for a 2015 1.4 MA engine you should be using Penrite 0w30 C2 (Selenia Digitek Pure Energy)

Just to clarify - Most people would think "surely the small difference between 5w30 & 0w30 wouldn't cause any problems?", but it's not the weight of the oil that's critical here, its the specifications of the oil and its additives pack.

We were also pleasantly suprised with the service itself.  The usual gripes of small modern FWD cars with super cramped engine bays and engineering that didn't give a thought for the poor mechanics who had to work on the car didnt seem to be an issue.  We had easy access to the spark plugs, air filter and sump.    I should also admit that we did have access to a proper mechanics lift and tools that made life significantly easier than crawling under a car on jack stands. 

The 1.4MA Giulietta is one of the easier cars to work on, and yes, a hoist does make some things so much easier.

The one gripe however was the Oil filter.   I'd read on a few places (including here)  that to access the oil filter we'd need to remove the drivers side front wheel,  then all the plastic flashing (2pcs and over a dozen screws)  ,  then engage in some chinese acorobat style contortions to get at the oil filter cap.   We did all of that as directed,  located the oil filter from underneath, then realised it was going to be a nightmare to try to undo when reaching up from the front wheel arch.    In desperation we lowered the car and had a look from above and  the top of the oil filter, was within easy reach right under the bonnet!  All our pissing about with wheels and flashing had been for nought!   I suspect Id been reading directions for accessing the oil filter on a QV or other more advanced model  (we have the fairly basic 1.4l "Distinctive"),  but this error prob cost us 30 - 45 minutes of pulling off,  then reattaching various plastic bits. 

Yes, you were following the procedures for a  Giulietta QV 1.75TBi. They are not quite as much fun when it comes to removing & draining the oil filter.  :(
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au