Alfa Romeo Giuletta 2013

Started by djhongkong, October 12, 2022, 08:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djhongkong

Hi all - I'm new here, not sure if this is the appropriate forum. I recently acquired a second-hand Alfa Giuletta 2013, 1.4L Turbo Manual. It has 51000kms on the clock. Due to the age of the vehicle I'm being told to replace the timing belt (no issues), however also advised to change the water pump at the same time.

I'm interested in whether the water pump is usually replaced with the timing belt, on a car with only 51000kms on the clock. I'm trying to get an understanding whether the quote is excessive or sensible. Any pointers appreciated.

Also if anyone has any recommended Alfa servicing places in Melbourne East. I contacted the Alfa official and their quote on time based servicing (was actually cheaper than the independent place I asked the same question. That seemed pretty unusual but I was told Alfa official add on a bunch of items on top of the quote without being upfront. Any fact checks there would be helpful.

Great car to drive generally. Although the time based servicing of $1500-$2000 I just wanted to double check before handing down that sort of cash.

Italian Supermodel

Hi DJ........well done on your Giulietta.  100% would be doing the water pump, after 9 years it's a ticking time bomb.   Hugh and Mick at Monza Motors Bayswater are my suggestion to have a chat with (no affiliation).  Customer service, technical knowledge and fair pricing they're terrific.
Good luck with it all.

bazzbazz

Yes, the water pump should be replaced with the timing belt as it acts as one of the timing belt pulleys as well.

Monza Motors will be able to do the job for you properly.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

poohbah

Yes, you should always change the water pump at same time as the belt.

I don't have a Giulietta so couldn't say exactly what belt/pump change costs for your car, but $1500-$2000 is consistent with what it has in the past generally cost to do the same job on all three 156 V6s I've owned.

Age is as critical as mileage - especially in the hotter Australian climate. You can look in your owners handbook for the recommended interval for the Giulietta but it will show both mileage and time-limit - and should be done whichever you reach first.  On my 156 GTA the gap is 60,000km or three years. I use my car a lot but I never get anywhere near the mileage before the three years is up. Its quite simply not worth delaying it given the risk and cost of destroying your engine if the belt or pump fails.

So check when it was last changed on your car, and I'll be willing to bet it will be due (or likely past due) on the time limit. Which may have been part of the reason the PO sold when they did. 

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

djhongkong

Thanks all for your replies and the info provided. Will just get the water pump done as suggested, good to know I wasn't being over-quoted on that. Will look up Monza Motors Bayswater also. It's a fun little car to drive so definitely will take care of it. Cheers.

bazzbazz

Quote from: poohbah on October 12, 2022, 04:17:00 PM
I don't have a Giulietta so couldn't say exactly what belt/pump change costs for your car, but $1500-$2000 is consistent with what it has in the past generally cost to do the same job on all three 156 V6s I've owned.

The cost for a cambelt & water pump change for a Giulietta should be 1/2 that. It's roughly a 5 hour job to do properly, compared to 10 hours for your V6.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Craig_m67

Ha!

See.. the V6 is indestructible... no, inflammable (or is it flammable.. I get them mixed up) :)

Best to look under the bonnet every now and again I reckon, and ask.. no shame init

As regards water pumps, defo change it.  It failed on my Giulietta (QV) at 80K and started to shred the belt
Change everything in the critical path I say ( I say)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)