Just saying hi

Started by DanielM, March 27, 2022, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielM

Hi All.

My name is Daniel and I am the latest owner of a 1965 Sprint GT. It's a bit of a roughy, so not the ideal first classic car, but I am in love, so that's all that matters. Hoping to get it roadworthy in the next month or so and get some miles under my belt before I do a bit of an overhaul. I am down in Bonbeach, Victoria if there are any fellow alfisti about. Otherwise, I look forward to meeting some of you at an event soon.

GTV-074

Welcome Daniel...

Nice car by the sounds of it. Throw up some pics of your GT when you can(pictures tell a thousand words as they say!).

Some more details would be nice too, colour, condition, history/background etc.

My first Alfa was a 66' Super (back in 81 when they were very unloved!). Early GT's and GTV's back then were the same, everyone wanted the 1750, 2000 models.

How things have changed!

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

DanielM

Hi Paul,

Sorry it took so long to respond.

The car has spent its life in Perth / WA and I have some records dating back to mid 70s, but not much. I have sent a couple of requests to the Alfa certificate of origin service but for some reason I am getting radio silence there.

The car doesn't appear to have driven at all in the last couple of years. So lots needs attention.

Mechanically, the engine runs, but there is a small leak between the block and the head. Hoping it can be fixed with some more torque, if not, out it comes. The brakes need a refresh and suspension bushings are all perished.

The body is okay, paint looks okay from afar. If you get up close and personal though, it has had a bit of a rough blow over with paint in the past couple of years. There is bog lurking in each of the corners so who knows what I will find when I eventually get to that part of the restoration. Door alignment can be seen in the photos. Drivers door needs immediate attention because that is not easy to open or close but the passenger door is functional.

The interior is okay. Missing the original seats which is a bummer. I will look for a set of those. The dash has been pieced back together with a fresh coat of vinyl so has noticeable lumps. I took the door cards off to see what was lurking behind. Nothing to worry about structurally, but the plastic linings were rather 'ineffective' so the cards themselves are warped.

Tail light lenses are also seen removed. I believe I will need to find a replacement set to get a roadworthy, they have a lot of visible cracks. I will post separately in the Buy/Swap/Sell. From the forums, it doesn't look like there are any replicas available though so I'm at the mercy of the Alfisti community here.

For some reason I forgot to take a photo of the engine bay. A previous owner replaced the crossover intake with GTA style trumpets. I will aim to get back to original there. I am part way through cleaning up the carburettors which has quickly grown in scope to cleaning everything that is suddenly more accessible with carburettors removed.

It is off to the mechanic next week, so I better get back to work!

DanielM

More photos....

Craig_m67

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

GTV-074

Daniel, looks nice.

Gotta love a stepnose!

1st Alfa coupe i bought years ago was a 66' GT Veloce. Boy was she rough! I think its still alive somewhere.

Cheers.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?