Rear brakes Alfa 75 116 gtv

Started by meru, March 19, 2022, 08:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meru

Hi guys, I have a dodgy outer adjuster screw that needs replacing but I don't want to tackle the whole job of removing the Caliper, does anybody know if I can get it off the the Caliper still on? I know it screws off the piston, just wondering maybe if I remove the pads I might have enough clearance to do it? Thanks

shiny_car

Short answer: you'll need to remove and dismantle the calipers if you want to remove the screw.

Long answer: it depends what is wrong.

Do you know what is wrong with the screw, or can you describe the problem?  The screws are held in position by circlips that are inside the calipers, and you need to remove the pistons to access them.  However, if the problem is not the actual screws, then that's a waste of time.  Is it a stuck piston?  If it's the outer piston, associated with the handbrake, then you have a decent chance to unstick it: safely position the car, then release and remove the handbrake cable.  Remove the pads.  Ideally you have decent access from above (ie: transaxle out of the car, or drop the transaxle after removing the rear bush bolt.  A combination of firmly jolting the handbrake arm back and forth, wrangling the screw, and jemmying the piston/pushing it inwards with a tool like a ring spanner.

Have fun!

NB: my experience is with 75 calipers, but I presume the GTV has the same/similar.
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

MD

Shiny.
To my knowledge all the ATE inboard calipers mounted on the transaxle boxes are the same with the exception when vented rotors are fitted which is just a spacer sandwiched between the same out cylinders.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0