To rebuild or replace?

Started by Tassie Spiderman, February 14, 2022, 12:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tassie Spiderman

I'm in a little dilemma at the moment. Our much loved 1999 Millenium Spider is out of action due to a major malfunction a few months ago.
A full examination has revealed that the rear main bearing has disintegrated and in the process thrown a piece of metal through the crank position sensor.
The dilemma is... Do I pull out the engine and do a rebuild which will probably mean new crankshaft, bearings and possibly pistons etc. or do I seek out a good used Twinspark 2.0 motor (which seem to be a little thin on the ground).
The car is under cover in a fully weatherproof garage so time is not the big issue. Would appreciate any advice/thoughts/suggestions.
Thanks for reading!

warsch

I'm for buying used engine too. In my experience it's cheaper to but a whole car with a twinnie, grab the engine and part out/sell/scrap the rest. Here in QLD you can find 147/156 for 500-100 if you're a bit patient. Please mind, that 147 has 3 catalytic converters, which scrappies happily take off your hand for 100-120 each. 156 has only one cat.

norman gen

there's 2 156 wagons for sale in tas on gumtree  1 manual , 1 selespeed

Tassie Spiderman

Thanks to all who replied. Looks like I'll go with the replace option. Have the workshop manual for the spider on CD so can follow engine remove/replace in that.
Any hints or tips from anyone who has done this sort of transplant would be welcome.

norman gen

Vinaka in Moonah, Hobart are an authorised service agent for Alfa/Fiat. I was only in there last week booking in a friend's 147 GTA. They may also beable to help you out with a TS engine as I saw approx 6 147/156 spare cars . Talk to Monty

norman gen

If you're in the north of the state near Sheffield , the local garage there is owned by an ex alfa owner who turned to the dark side ( now into citroens) but one of his mechanics is italian and into alfas....

Citroƫnbender

Great hint there - thanks. My new garaging address for the Tas 147 is not too far south of Sheffield.

Was back in Launceston Friday, one of the first cars I spotted was "JTS-159", last seen in Riverside late 2018 before I left town. This time almost exactly the same longitude but opposite side of the Tamar. Life feels like slow motion sometimes.

Tassie Spiderman

Thanks to you all. Have sourced a 2.0 Twinspark motor but need to freight it to Tassie. Has anyone built a crate/mounting for this purpose? Wondering if it's possible to weld a frame to bolt on using engine mount points and then crate the whole thing up. If anyone has mud map/sketches etc would love to hear from you.