Project 'S'!

Started by alfagtv58, July 17, 2006, 01:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fast Eddie

okay, we are both right...
Sc rules state - "Wheels are required to be in original diameter.  Replacement sof standard style wheels by period style alloy wheels will be considered on individual application".

So, you need to go see Graham Hoinville and get em approved before your first meet and they cannot exceed 6" width or 60% profile.

Tyres are a control item too.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

alfagtv58

Tyres are a sticky (hahaha I'm so funny ;D) issue with group S at the moment as it seems the manufacturers are running out of appropriate sizes to suit certain cars.  There has been talk about giving a tolerance in wheel size (+/- 1" dia.) or making one control tyre for all etc.

First link below is the current CAMS bulletin in relation to approved tyres for Group S, as you can see there are a lot allowed but you need to find the correct size and ratio.

http://www.cams.com.au/bulletins/B06-014%20Historic%20Group%20N%20-%20Approved%20Tyre%20List.pdf

Second link is a paper put together by the Group S racing association.

http://www.groupsracing.org.au/Documents/GROUP%20S%20TYRE%20AVAILABILITY%202006.pdf
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

branko.gt

Quote from: Edward Hellsten on September 29, 2006, 09:22:32 AM

So, you need to go see Graham Hoinville and get em approved before your first meet and they cannot exceed 6" width or 60% profile.

I think you need to see John Caffin, he is eligibility officer for group S for Victoria. He will want a written submission with pictures and any supporting evidence you cna muster.
The general approach the historics take is, you need to have a good reason to use what factory did not deliver and have to prove that was common at the time. Failing that, it needs to look fitting to the eligibility office. The onus is on you to prove why a change is appropriate in your particular case, not on them to prove why you cannot use something other then factory delivered standard equipment.
Relatively safe way to go is to look at what other, already competing cars are using. 

Scott Farquharson

Well, you are all right!! 

ATM you must run a 14x6 wheel of/or similar to the wheels of the period.  For instance some are running a "minilite" style wheel or are using the slotted Campagnolo wheels.  I wouldn't run steel wheels.  The standard spoked Alfetta alloys would also be a good choice.  The "Hot Wires" would also probably be ok as long as they are 14x6 however a quick call to John Caffin or John Bate in the VHRR is probably not a bad idea just to be sure but I seriously doubt they will be a problem.  You will not need to make a formal application.

The proposal on wheel sizes is just that - a proposal - the historic commission has not ruled on that issue atm.  This is probably got a way to go before there is a resolution.  So right now and for the forseeable future it is 14x6 only.

Tyres must be from the produiction car list which I have just posted in the group s news section (same as the list in Phil's post) and must be 60% profile.  Most Alfa competitors are running the Yoky AO32 which has just been superceded by the AO48 which has been just added to the production car list.  The AO48 is the control tyre for a number of classes (eg Aus Prodn Car Champ) and is short supply ATM but should free up by the time we are ready.  I have ordered a set which I will run on the Blue GT at the 6 hr.  The size is 195 60 14.  The AO48 is faster than the AO32.  You can use other tyres if you want as long as they are from the list.  AO48's are about $230 each.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Fast Eddie

what's the pcd of a alfetta GTV please?
Also i notice no Dunlop D01s on the list and many club sprinters run those which is a pity
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

branko.gt

Quote from: Edward Hellsten on September 29, 2006, 03:48:29 PM
what's the pcd of a alfetta GTV please?

same as your car and fiats and .... , 4x98

Paul Newby

Guys,

I wouldn't get too hung up on the wheel issue. I know they get a bit anal re period wheels for Group C, but this isn't the case with Group S.

Realistically any 14 x 6 wheel should be OK, it will look period because its 14 inch! Some of the guys up here are using Panasports (imported from the States) and a couple of us are using period Momos (with the plastic caps) as they have a favourable offset and are out there in reasonable numbers (and cheap.) The standard alloys are only 5.5 inch and are not really suitable. As for steel rims ..... ::)
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

alfagtv58

A bit more progress....March is fast approaching, I may be putting the (light) beer on and asking for some re-building help soon!!
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

alfagtv58

Few more pics.
2009 159 JTS Ti

Scott Farquharson

Looking good - PI is a shoe in!
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Fast Eddie

Quote from: Phil Baskett on December 04, 2006, 07:56:19 PM
A bit more progress....March is fast approaching, I may be putting the (light) beer on and asking for some re-building help soon!!

Only too happy to assist where i can and learn as i go for my own project S car.  Just say when.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Scott Farquharson

So Ed you're not doing much over xmas then.....boy have we got plenty of work for you.
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

alfagtv58

Scott, Thats one thats taken the bait with light beer.  I think we should up the anti to heavy beer now and see who else we can land.  And maybe a pizza as well (Ed wont get this as he signed up for light beer only).  Neil Choi has no option, he is helping.
2009 159 JTS Ti

Fast Eddie

i'm more productive on light beer... that and i only way 75 kilos so a carton at a time will work  ;D

Ohh, did i tell you that i cant weld, cut straight, drill straight and have no mechanical ability and that i am good at scrounging stuff for my own stash?  we used to call it  logistical relocation in the army ::)

Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Scott Farquharson

The light beer thing works but it's the rest that may be a problem.  He still sounds more skilled that me though.
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)