1977 Alfetta GTV Rosso Ruby? “Restoration”

Started by Alfatango, January 19, 2022, 05:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfatango

Hey I will be picking up an alfetta gtv and what is the best way to get it onto a trailer if it doesn't run? I am going to use the 3.5T U Hual trailer with the hand winch that comes on the trailer. Is it better to get the car on the trailer from the front of the car or from the rear of the car? What is the best place to attach the winch hook onto it?

Beatle

I'd wrap a strap around the DeDion and pull it up backwards.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Evan Bottcher

I nearly had a major accident on the Newell Hwy once towing an Alfasud backwards on a trailer.  It was fine up to about 95kmh, beyond that it started to get the death sways and I only just managed to get it under control.  Life before the eyes moment.

Unless you're driving just a few kms very slowly, I'd tow it front-facing.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

MD

HAAHAA, Beatle, wash your mouth out wash soap mate.  ;D ;D

Evan is ABSOLUTLEY right. The trailer at speed gets the fish tail wag going big time and starts to steer the towing vehicle in directions you had no intentions of going. Dangerous !

Just ask me...

So to recap, load the vehicle facing forward on the trailer. I wrap a chain around both lower control arms and then pull in the centre of the chain.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

MD

That's a jacking point and not a towing point. It is only held in by 6mm bolts. Towing here may cause the distortion of the rear panel it is fixed to. To be safe with an original road vehicle that hasn't been modified with special towing hook locations, just install your towing rope to the lower control arm. See photo.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

MD

For clarity the jacking point is held in place by 4 x M6 bolts.

When it comes to corrosion and structural integrity for a race car, my best advice is to hand the job onto qualified trades people who can thoroughly examine the body work, straighten the chassis if necessary and check the suspension geometry. Apply correct welding standards for the repairs.

Based upon the skill level that I perceive you to have, I do not suggest that you carry out this work yourself. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Cheers

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Beatle

Don't chop up the Alfa door.  You may need it in future.....

Better to go to a wrecker, rubbish tip, or find an old wreck (of any brand) in some farmer's back yard and cut a piece of sheetmetal out of that.
Cheaper than buying a new sheet of steel (though that's an option) and old panels have paint which helps protect the sheet from surface rust while it's languishing in your garage. 
Go for something pre 1990s.  The metal is more likely to be softer and easier to use than late model higher tensile sheetmetal.

How are the bases of your A-pillars?
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

poohbah

go for it - im watching keenly to see how you go.  planning to do some enthusiastic amateur welding on mine too.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

GTV-074

Looks like it will be an interesting project at the very least. From the pic on the trailer, it doesn't look too bad.

Colour wise, I doubt very much its prugna (not 'pink' enough). Could be Rosso, as it can appear darker in some pics and the shade varies greatly online.

If it has a touch of metallic in it, then i back 'Ruby Metallic'  - AR534. It changed mid April 76' from AR518 but as yours is a 77' i'd go with AR534.

You'd need to confirm that via a paint test or its 'birth notice' from Alfa Romeo Historico.

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

GTV-074

P.S. Having said the above about prugna, found it in one my colour charts...

Its not the best reproduction of the colurs but you can see their similarity. (Robinia - bottom right is Ruby)

I revise, could be Ruby or Prugna!!

Cheers.

Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

Beatle

I suggest you get yourself a Dremel, or a cheaper version Rotary Tool (with small cutting wheels and a few carbide burrs), and a cheap Oscillating Tool with fine tooth metal blades to compliment your angle grinder and hand snips. 

Here's some inspiration and a few hints.

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=8649.0
https://www.alfabb.com/threads/alfetta-sill-cut.14822/

Some will be horrified with what I'm about to write.... but.... for smaller rust holes you don't necessarily need to drop in a flush fitting repair piece or weld it all the way around.  You can cut a repair piece a little larger than the hole and do a lap repair from behind, or from the front and 'knock-it-down' to take the filler..  You can also just hold it in place with a few welds rather than all the way round.  You'll need to use filler regardless, and a little extra to fill a small lap repair isn't the end of the world.  Just ensure you treat the inside/back of the repair with rust preventative once the repair is completed.

Watching with interest  :D

Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

poohbah

Email Marco Fazio, he looks after alfa production records at the museum, give him your VIN, he should be able to help.

marco.fazio@stellantis.com
            1981 GTV

poohbah

Love those seats by the way. I so wish mine were still in the original velour.
            1981 GTV

poohbah

pretty sure its stamped in the engine bay somewhere, maybe on firewall near choke cable?
            1981 GTV

poohbah

Just checked mine, and the VIN is stamped on the drivers side firewall underneath the clutch fluid reservoir and master cylinder.
            1981 GTV