Author Topic: 2.0 Twin Spark Oil Weep  (Read 159 times)

CitroŽnbender

• Gen. 3:19
2.0 Twin Spark Oil Weep
« on: January 10, 2022, 01:06:51 PM »
Started timing belt replacement on the well-travelled 147. A ďmuttĒ exchange motor built by ASV out of an engine that experienced cambelt failure, dropped in a 147 Ti to replace a failed cambelt engine; that car was written off in early 2016 and sold to me as a engine donor for my failed cambelt 147 5 door, these belts were done last in 2014/15.

Due by age, not mileage - itís done ~25K in this chassis and not sure how much in the donor vehicle prior. Tensioners and idler in good condition, belts (Optibelt) showing age but not imminent death.

First problem. Oil is passing through the variator solenoid. Iíve seen this several times before, I believe itís internal seals hardening and failing. I also believe it impedes the ďjobĒ of the solenoid by damping its motion. You can see oil has made it right through to the harness connector. Iím yet to hear of a solution to this.

AliExpress lists lookalike solenoids, it would probably cost me most of $800 for a batch of ten or whatever their minimum is - if actually available. Whether they would work and last are two important questions! If itís OK by the vendor to impersonate the Bitron branding, you wonder about the fidelity of any guaranteesÖ

Relief. The balancer shaft oil seals, and front main, appear dry. I donít have a suitable counterhold for the balancer sprockets, so that avoids another headache to resolve.

Problem 2. Apparent oil weep from the front camshaft girdle. The seals are finished, thatís a given - but is it ďproibitoĒ for me to lightly spray the girdleís contact face with Hylomar or use a smear of Threebond 1211?

As a side note, I put a kit through a spare variator to save money. It was interesting to note, the replacement spring measures shorter than the original by quite a few millimetres.

CitroŽnbender

Re: 2.0 Twin Spark Oil Weep
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 09:41:34 PM »
A related disappointment, variator shells are heavily scored - Iíd say swarf rather than grit. Vlade is indicating zero stock but I havenít yet messaged him to confirm. Any other options in Oz?

CitroŽnbender

Re: 2.0 Twin Spark Oil Weep
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 07:08:32 PM »
Last known pair of new shells in Oz, now have my name on them. Vlade is positive heís got a set - somewhere - but in the heat of the moment could not put his fingers on them.

So anyone doing a variator soon, might be well-advised to order ahead.