156 GTA questions

Started by poohbah, November 14, 2021, 10:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

That's probably the original Qld owner chose his number plate.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

poohbah

update on progress

Car has been over pits, and as expected it requires a few things to be fixed/corrected before I can get it registered. It is now at the workshop I usually go to.

Things I expected:

- Airbag Light On: I haven't been able to clear the airbag light despite my multiple attempts at cleaning and reconnecting the various connectors etc. Expect I need to replace the airbag control unit.
- Check Engine Light On: I was able to clear it with my OBDII scanner but inevitably, it came back on after about 50km. My generic reader says 02 sensor issue. May not be the exact issue, will see what comes
  back from mechanic after proper alfa diagnostics.
- Tyres. I replaced all 4 before I took to inspection as they were as bald as Peter Dutton (I did mention the car hasn't been a garage queen ...)
- Broken rear engine mount - which was an item listed on last service report.

Things I didn't expect:

- Height Load Sensor (for headlights) broken on front LHS and needs to be replaced.
- Brake lines - sometime in the past a prior owner upgraded the bake lines to flexible braided hoses (Goodridge). I need proof they are ADR compliant or will have to replace. Unfortunately I can't find a receipt
  and there are no visible markings other than just a brand name (no part number or anything else). Lines also need to be correctly secured and clamped. May just go back to factory brake lines - which would
  also address another requirement (see below).
- Clean up stains from old oil leaks and from when PO replaced fuel pump.
- Replace side repeater lenses with standard items (PO fitted slightly smoked clear lenses - another fail here in WA). Already sorted by swapping over the originals from my daily 156 for now. Will get OEM
  replacements in due course.
- Correct headlight alignment/direction and clean cloudy lenses - I suspect that may be related to the busted load sensor. Already since cleaned the lenses, now like new (used bugspray, miraculous instant
  result, and no subsequent oxidising after three days)
- Modification permit needed for coilovers, brake lines and strut brace. This should not be a problem, you can get 10 modifications on a permit by submitting a form and paying $75. And if I go back to factory
  brake lines, won't need to cover brakes.

Pleasant surprises:

- Upgraded sports exhaust passed the volume test, by a whisker... (it did seem even louder when I heard them checking it, so I was nervous).
- Coilovers are not a problem in themselves, subject to completing the modification permit referred to above.

Things to do down the track:

- Fix the headliner
- Get AC fixed.
- Detailing and touch up stone chips on bonnet and skirts.
- Get rims refurbished. No kerb rash, but need repainting and refinishing. 
            1981 GTV

bteoh

Hopefully you will get it all sorted soon and registered in WA. Cheers  :)

warsch

WA rules seem draconian to me, from our QLD tuner's heaven (well, comparatively). Coilovers and brake lines are fine, as long as they are factory manufactured for a particular model.

That being said, I'd be interested to buy braided lines, pending the price.

All in all, seems like a good buy if it was under 10 grand. Anything 3.2 V6 seems to have skyrocketed and all the sellers are now asking 20+ thousand, even more for a 156 GTA.

poohbah

Cheers Warsch. The inspector reckoned a modification permit for the coilovers shouldn't be a problem. The brake lines are a right pain though.

The flipside to WA's rules is that once a car is licensed you don't need to get regular RWCs or when you sell it, as long as the car remains registered. Probably not great from a general road safety perspective, but it does make it easier to keep older vehicles like my GTV alive. Even if it wasn't running, I could keep it licensed indefinitely, which obviously makes it less likely to be abandoned in the back of someone's shed.
            1981 GTV

poohbah

Good news is that the car passed the second inspection this arvo, so pending receipt of the confirmatory paperwork from DoT, I should be able to register it early next week. What a huge relief.

Cost to repair the defects identified in the first inspection was just over $2k (half parts, half labour), plus another $1k for tyres, bits and pieces, permits and inspection fees that I've incurred since I got the car.

Luckily neither the ECU nor the airbag control module needed fixing/replacement. A faulty Lambda sensor was behind the engine light (interestingly, that is also what was identified by the $50 Protech code reader I got last week- a positive for anyone looking for an affordable reader that is not totally rubbish), and multiple airbag fault codes were down to a dud connector for the curtain airbag (which I had tried cleaning and reconnecting myself with no luck). Main parts were new engine mount, the lambda sensor, new factory brake lines, HP fuel line, assorted clamps/fixings, and brake fluid.

So all things being equal, after paying rego, transfer and new plates next week, my upfront spend will be around $12.5K to get into a fairly straight (though far from pristine) GTA.

I will then be able to take my time to sort out remaining things like the headliner, AC, detailing, wheel refurb.

I've also got to go back in and check the stereo and ASC button wires - both were working til I pulled the side panel out to get a look at the airbag control module last week. I'm sure its nothing major, though it is a bit annoying.

1981 GTV

poohbah

Hmm, my intention is to drive it daily so it will be an interesting experiment.

My current V6 auto 156 averages about 10L/100km, which involves a daily round trip of about 65km in freeway peak hour traffic.

I pretty much have to sell that one to make room (and satisfy the war office about netting back some cash) - much as I love it, because my alfetta is a keeper.

Of course it may take a while, and having working AC on hand over summer might be handy...

1981 GTV

poohbah

thanks mate, I really do love the white one. Fantastic gentlemen's cruiser. And if I'm honest, a bit kinder to my backside and left leg than the GTA.
            1981 GTV

poohbah

Yep me too. No offence to 147 owners I'm not really a hot hatch type of guy. Sedan is more age appropriate too ...probably.
            1981 GTV

warsch

I wish to get a cheap 156 GTA, but alas, I only was able to snatch a 147 GTA. The up side is that it is cheap and run down (cosmetic mostly) enough for me so I don't mind turning it to a race car.

That being said, I find stock 147GTA suspension too soft.

poohbah

I'm sure it will be a firecracker of a track beast Warsch. Both are emerging classics!

To close things out, I have now successfully transferred the car onto WA registration, so she's good to go. Shame to lose the GTA private plates, but still able to get slimline silver-on-black. And they are less likely to be pinched by a teenage gamer...

Sadly, I'll now be under starters orders to sell my white Series 1 2.5V6 Q-auto.(Pic below)

Having fixed the LHS rear window on the weekend, everything on it is now operating properly. Seems a shame to move it on now...

But for anyone who's interested, I'm starting at $6500ono. Just done 190,000km, religiously serviced at Cileberti Motors in the 5 years I have owned her (and comes with extensive service history from me and her prior owner). She is just a really sweet, reliable, agile, comfortable, stylish daily driver with that lovely Busso heartbeat.
            1981 GTV

poohbah

1981 GTV

SeleMatt

Congrats on the GTA mate. You'll have a ball in it.