Nord Vs. Twinspark block differences

Started by Sfern00, October 23, 2021, 07:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sfern00

Hi all,
Upon tearing down my 2000 GTV's Nord engine, the head coolant passages are badly pitted. I want to put a bit more power to the wheels, and i hear the twinspark is the way to go. I have some Spruell supplied pistons, liners, cams, etc. for a 2000 nord a friend sold to me on the cheap a while back (liquidating due to bankruptcy, long story).

Is there any cross compatibility between the nord and twinspark on the aforementioned components? Am i better off buying a new nord head? Its pretty much beyond repair. Or should i buy a Twinspark and start over? I suppose the liners, valves, cams etc. are different on the TwinSpark.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
'72 2000 GTV
'82 GTV6
'58 MG A
'74 Citroen D Special
'97 MB SL 500

Alfetta77

Hi Sfern, from what I hear a TS motor will give you more power without sacrificing drive-ability. Downside is cost and availability, it used to be possible to pick them up cheap but they are now sought after for conversions and therefore harder to find and more expensive. I don't have experience with interchangeability of components to will leave that to others!
Current:  Alfetta GTV 1977 Silver
Previous: Alfetta GTV 1980 Red

Sfern00

'72 2000 GTV
'82 GTV6
'58 MG A
'74 Citroen D Special
'97 MB SL 500

GTVeloce

I've converted a couple of Alfetta coupes to TS power and it is fantastic. Great reliability, drivability and a modest power increase. However, there is more space in an Alfetta engine bay so the conversion is fairly straight forward. I suspect you may need more 'ingenuity' to fit yours and the reason it is so easy and reliable is because you don't need to modify too much to make it work e.g. engine management system. If you can fit it in without having to change major parts then I say go for it.

I can't comment on exactly whether any of the parts would fit. The cams would probably necessitate a change of engine management system to work.

LukeC

To be brief about this... I have done a bunch of conversions (105 and 116). 116 is very straight forward mechanically. 105 is a different kettle of fish!

These days when people ask me about TS conversions into 105s, I tell them unless they have money to burn, just stick with the Nord. Far easier to get another Nord head than T-S engine. End in reality, the extra expense in a T-S conversion into a 105 amounts to several $K. Yes, you can more horsepower from a T-S, but I reckon spend the $$$ you would spend on a T-S and conversion on a Nord and apart from the ohhh and ahhh factor under the bonnet, you will be very happy with a well built Nord.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

Sfern00

Thanks all.
Luke, thanks for the answer. Ill stick with the nord. Just out of curiosity, do you know if any engine components designed for a nord are interchangeable with a twinspark block/head? Are any parts, like the crankshaft for instance the same? I doubt it. Also, you wouldnt happen to know of a solid one 2000 nord head for sale would you?
Thanks
'72 2000 GTV
'82 GTV6
'58 MG A
'74 Citroen D Special
'97 MB SL 500

LukeC

Crank is very similar. Bigger thread at front on T-S.
Some T-S cranks have the spigot bush position bored, some don't and require machining.
T-S rods are 1mm shorter and stronger than Nord.
Liners are identical.
Front timing case has left hand bolt to head in different position to Nord.
Timing intermediate sprocket is different (shorter and does not have tach drive) - Nord part requires mod to fit in T-S engine.
T-S has oil supply to head only in two galleries, not six.
Nord head studs are too short for T-S head (main reason this idea is not practical).
It goes on...

There is currently two complete Alfetta 2 litre engines for sale on Gumtree in Canberra. These sort of things are always floating around probably local to you and the best bet.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au