147 electrical issue

Started by steveno, October 22, 2021, 11:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveno

Newish member here, this is my first post.

I'm in Melbourne and have a 2005 147 selespeed, bought from a member here about 2 years ago.  Car was running well and had the cambelt replaced last year.

Here's my problem I hope to get help with.

A couple of nights ago I was getting on the on the Eastern Freeway and approached and turned onto the ramp far too fast.

When I got on the freeway and doing 100 with cruise control the warning panel showed "battery voltage low" or something similar.

Within the next minute a few other warnings about ABS failure and other warnings appeared.   The dashboard instruments stopped working (needles all at rest), the dash lights went off and and the headlights seemed to dim.  I kept going for a few minutes (no traffic around) and everything came back to life.

After 5 minutes I was near my exit when everything stopped working, no lights no power from engine, and I coasted to a halt on the off ramp.  Got a tow truck home

I thought (hoped) it might be the battery so bought a new one and put it in.  It lasted all day but in the afternoon the car displayed the same symptoms as before, lack of power and warning messages about ABS and other systems.  I've parked the car and put the old battery on a charger so I can move it if needed.

It seems like the battery is not receiving any charge.  I think I have damaged or dislodged something when pushing it too fast around a corner.

My question is what should I check before sending it off to an auto electrician?  Is this a familiar problem for anyone? 

Thanks for any advice.

05 147 selespeed

bazzbazz

Your Alternator has most likely failed and it is not charging the battery and the battery is just discharging till it's flat.

If you have a voltmeter check the battery voltage with the engine running, if the Alternator is operating correctly it should be around 13.8 to 14 volts. If its showing anything much less than this its not charging properly, if its showing anything less than 12.5 volts its not operating at all.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

steveno

Thanks bazzbazz, I was hoping for some miracle short cut.

Although I didn't click at the time, it was clear that it wasn't charging because it drained the battery  when the engine was running.

I've booked with someone who knows what they are doing.  I'll let you know what it was.
05 147 selespeed

steveno

You were correct, needed a regulator replaced.
Mechanic did it today.
05 147 selespeed