VASS certification requirement

Started by Anth73, October 19, 2021, 08:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anth73

I've been reading through various VicRoads Vehicle Standards Information sheets and Vehicle Standards Bulletins on the VASS certification requirements for my '82 GTV 3L V6 conversion. I did finally find some guidance on the relationship between the various VSI, VSB and VASS references on the VicRoads website stating:

Modifications or additions in accordance with the Vehicle Standards Information Sheets listed below do not require a VASS Approval Certificate:
- for registered light vehicles see VSI8
- for light vehicles on the Club Permit Scheme see VSI33
- for motorcycles, see VSI4

Modifications outside what is allowed in VSI8 VSI33 and VSI 4 require a VASS Approval Certificate issued by a VASS Signatory. Modifications which may be approved by a VASS Signatory are outlined in the National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (VSB14).

I'm unsure if my 3L conversion requires a VASS certificate as:

- The 3L was never an option on the GTV6
- My performance mods (SZ spec 10:1 compression pistons, ported / polished head, mild cam, Motec ECU, CSC exhaust) may result in a power increase above the 20% threshold compared to a standard 2.5L GTV6. But I'm unsure if 20% power increase or capacity increase over the standard 2.5L GTV6 is the determining factor
- Even with a dyno session actual flywheel power will be a guess
- The SZ spec 3L motor was rated at 154kW and I expect mine will be similar

I'm also unclear about the need to fit catalytic converters given my motor comes from a 75. Has anyone else gone through the process of getting their engine swap VASS certified? If it was for a pre-unleaded Alfa were you required to fit catalytic converters if an unleaded motor was used for the swap?
Now:
2012 Giulietta QV
1982 GTV6 3L fast road build
1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce...the long term project
1970 1750 GTV project car for sale

Then:
2002 156 2.5V6 Manual
2012 159 2.4JTDm Sportwagon
1973 2000 GTV with a 1750 rear half...that was a shame!
Alfa 90 (only for its engine mounts)

GTVeloce

I think you have a case to argue the 3L is less than 20% capacity over the 2.5L, which was a factory fitted engine (i.e. you could say the 3L is a bored 2.5L).

The engine performance again I feel is within the 'intention' of the specifications i.e. it's not a methanol breathing monster putting out 600hp.

However, IIRC, you are supposed to fit a catalytic converter if the original engine had one fitted, so yes. Same with any crankcase ventilation system and petrol vapour recirculation system but I suggest they should both be done anyway for a road car regardless.

Of course, you are always safest to get the VASS just in case, but be prepared to wait and shell out some coin.

Beatle

Don't forget the GTV6 had 3.0L capacity in the South African market.  You may be able to leverage that precedence through VASS, though I'll bet as soon as you ask the question....... :o

And usually the engine emissions setup needs to be consistent with the ADRs applicable to the engine, or the chassis, whichever is the later (strictest).
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Doug Gould

I'm a VASS signatory. You are over thinking it.

The Vehicle - defined by its VIN must continue to adhere to the ADR's in force at its time of manufacture. Mid eighties emissions are kids stuff now.

Whether it's done as an equivalent engine swap or a performance engine installation will not make much difference.

Give me a call during the week
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

Cobrasteve

No doubt Doug will give you the right info if he's a VASS signatory but some thoughts having built a replica through the VASS process.

For legality and insurance coverage reasons, having a VASS review and sign off is imperative. 

All is sweet until something drastic happens with the car, then you are unprotected with unengineered modifications.

As said, what you propose is not a huge jump, so sign off should be an easy challenge.

Emissions should match the car's specs of the time, given it has a VIN, as that sets the precedent. 

If even out of the country, a like engine fitment as you plan has occurred to that model, there is some leverage possible but not huge, as you need to comply to the ADR's ie Australian Designs rules not S Africa rules.

The VASS folk I've struck are very realistic and what you propose isn't a monster change, so head down the engineering route for your own sake!

Cheers