a few Alfetta sedan questions

Started by MrGab250, October 18, 2021, 05:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrGab250

G'day,  I've been looking at some Alfetta sedans as a project car because some of them seem fairly cheap. I've got a few questions though:

Firstly; what should I specifically be looking at with these cars, I know generally how to look at used cars, but is there anything in particular that goes wrong with these?

Second question: I realize that the rear brakes on these are mounted inboard. How hard is it to change brake pads and rotors? Are they available with an LSD?

And finally; how similar are these engines to the motors used in the 105 series cars? I realize that the crankshaft will be different; but what about things like carbys, distributors, camshafts etc? are they interchangeable?

Cheers, Gab

Beatle

1.   RUST RUST RUST.  In my opinion the critical area is the base of the A-pillar/firewall junction (internal where you can't see it).  Major rust here is (almost) impossible to repair.  Rust elsewhere is no more or less difficult or expensive to repair than any other car.

https://www.alfabb.com/threads/alfetta-sill-cut.14822/

2.   Depends what you intend to do with it but if originality is high on the list, know that interior and exterior trim parts are getting scarce.

3.   Mechanically I've always found the Alfetta to be robust.  But they are getting old and some parts are getting scarce.  However most of the main mechanical parts are available.  Transaxle synchros are a weak point.  Rear brakes are different, but not that hard to work on.  LSD was available in the 75 series cars which is where most Alfetta LSD are sourced.  I don't know that LSD was ever an option on new Alfettas. 

The Nord in-line 4cyl engines in the Alfetta 116 series are simply evolutions of those in the Giulia 105 series (evolved from the 750/101 Giulietta series (not to be confused with the 116 Giulietta model... :o)).  Some Alfetta engines had the pilot drilled in the crank the same as for the 105 cars, so can be retrofitted. 

As to retrofitability(?) of engine ancilliaries, it depends.....   Obviously carbs for 1600 won't work on a 2.0L engine.  There were also mechanical evolutions throughout the Alfetta's lifespan, plus different engine capacities.   There is nothing wrong with DellOrto carbs, though spare parts availability may be problematic.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

GTVeloce

Pretty much what Beatle said.

Mechanically these cars might be different but not necessarily hard to work on and part availability is pretty good thanks to shared components with GTV6 and 75 models. There is the odd exception like early donuts which I believe are hard to come by but mostly it's pretty straight forward. The main issues are rust, interior parts and exterior trim. They are much more model specific so scarcer and most parts aren't being reproduced yet.

As to the LSD: if you aren't chasing exact originality I highly recommend an Alfa 75 TS transaxle, if you can get one. Better ratios, LSD, stronger synchros and from the exterior you would never know it wasn't the original.

The Alfetta sedan makes a good project car - I convinced my Dad to buy one as a retirement project and he is enjoying it.