Parts interchangeability between Alfetta and other models

Started by MrGab250, October 18, 2021, 05:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrGab250

Hey, I'm just wondering exactly what can be interchanged between the engines in Alfettas, and the 105 series cars, and possibly any other models:

Blocks - I would assume these would be the same?

Crankshafts - I assume that 105 series cranks will be drilled for a spigot bearing wheras alfettas wont be?

Camshafts? - Do these interchange? I assume they possibly have a different grind on them? I'm not sure

Cylinder heads? - Do these change much?

What about the bolt on parts like starter motor, alternator, water pump, power steer/air con pump if fitted?

Carburettors? - Do the alfetta cars have different carbs to deal with anti pollution laws? Do they make less power? are 105 carbs more desirable?

Distributors? - I'd assume these are the same, but I'm unsure if Alfetta went to electronic ignition?

Do they all have the same bellhousing pattern?

Cheers, Gab

Beatle

Hi Gab,

And welcome!

Some books which may be of interest:
-Alfa Romeo Owner's Bible - Pat Braden
-Alfa Romeo All-Alloy Twin Cam Companion: 1954-1994 - Pat Braden
-The Alfa Romeo DOHC Engine High-Performance Manual - Jim Kartalamakis  (Jim also has a book on the V6)

I'm not getting into their accuracy or any other political rubbish about what mods work and which don't, but if you read these cover to cover and memorise every word, it'll give you a starting point to narrow down answers to some of your questions....  ;D

Note the Aussie spec Alfettas differ from the Euro and US spec cars in some obvious and not so obvious areas.

You can find these books second-hand.

I never mucked about with performance modifications but there is also a book in the Speed Pro series on modifying Weber and DellOrto carbs. If nothing else it'll point out where they are similar and where they differ.

I've never seen a Solex equipped Alfetta.

Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd