Electrical Gremlins - 147 Sele

Started by Citroënbender, October 10, 2021, 02:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

Just grab another selespeed dash from a wreck and try it out, there are literally squillions of dead 147 selespeed out there..... although some people do like to hoard them ( you know who you are :) )

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Citroënbender

Are you saying the CAN is daisy-chained and the fault lies in the dash?

bazzbazz

Quote from: Craig_m67 on October 14, 2021, 03:20:08 PM
Just grab another selespeed dash from a wreck and try it out, there are literally squillions of dead 147 selespeed out there
The Body ECU is one of the Coded parts and contains the Immobilizer circuit, to replace it you have to replace the following -

Body ECU
Engine ECU
Immobilizer Chip in the key

They are a "Matched Set".

Also I recommend  you get a set from a car with the same number of doors.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Craig_m67

Is the body ecu in the dash?

My suggestion was just to try out a new dash, should fly without any coding /cheap
If the problem goes away, then he's good

If not, then you know.. what it's not.

Citroënbender

The body computer is clipped to the back of the under dash fuse/relay panel.

I forgot to add, I have the 147 portion of eLearn, and am using it for schematics.

bazzbazz

I think Craig is referring to the instrument cluster when he says "Dash".

I think we have concluded that as the Body ECU circuit board was water damaged that it is the most likely cause of the issues.

I would also suggest that when you replace the Body ECU you of course replace the attached fuse box, as if there is water ingress to the Body ECU, you can be sure the fuse box is contaminated as well.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Craig_m67

My mistake, I thought the images were the instrument cluster

Citroënbender

I've excavated my spare electronic set, before I launch into this - is the Selespeed control unit hard coded or will it pair happily with any replacement?

The main reason I was thinking to leave this part alone was the assumption that all unique data from EOL calibration would be preserved in it. I realise it would have a logged mileage mismatch with a replacement set of the other elements.

bazzbazz

No, no need to touch the Selespeed ECU.

Just the following -

Body ECU
Engine ECU
Immob Chip in the Key
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

Thanks again - just concerned about what happens with the displayed mileage. Isn't it logged in the cluster as well?

The chassis mileage is around 225K, my spare/test set is around 125K. I'd rather not accidentally overwrite either.

bazzbazz

The mileage is stored in the Body ECU (even though you use the Dashboard Tab in MES to re-write the mileage).

Just put the old Body ECU back together & install it, take note of the mileage and use that to re-write the mileage in the new unit.
Just be aware, you can only ever INCREASE the mileage, you can't ever wind it down.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

Ta, it's running and functioning properly again. I've got to swap the ignition barrel tomorrow, that's the easiest interim step. It's good to have confirmation that the body harnesses are OK. Longer term I'd prefer to repair the original computer or clone it to another unit. That one has three chips and remotes, the one just put in has a sole unit.

Where do I apply for the confidential code these days?

bazzbazz

Why are you swapping the ignition barrel?

You just open the donor key, take out the Key Blade, and transplant it to the old key. That way all the locks work, the car starts, and theoretically the remote locking will work too. (That's if it did in the donor car)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

Could do that, I suppose.

What happens if you put a manual ECU/body computer set into a Sele car? Does it interact with the Selespeed module, or refuse to play?

bazzbazz

Sorry, won't work properly.

The Engine ECU has to feed engine speed to the Selespeed ECU and there is no feature for that in a Manual ECU.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast