Early vs Late GTV6

Started by Rob Berson, January 04, 2009, 07:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv58

PRC = Production Rally Car (Group 3C)
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

redalfaracing

Yes Phil, The story is that i have a '77 2000 GTV shell that i rescued from a bloke who was going to put some turbo engine in and go sports saloon racing. But he ran out of money/enthusiasm. It has been my dream since finding Alfa's to rally a GTV6 , but i dont want to destroy a good one. The next best thing is to turn this got at shell into a GTV 6. For PRC eligibility it needs to look like the car you say it is. I have 4 2000 rusted out wrecks with split dashes and steel bumpers. if i can prove that the early GTV 6's came out with some or all of those bits i can use what i have lots of and save the good bits for people who really need them. The last thing i want to be responsible for is writing off a perfectly good GTV 6 .
I'm sure you agree that would be a shame.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

Paul Newby

redalfaracing you should be saving the "metal bumper" GTVs for those guys who want to go Group S racing. We need the earlier shells and they are getting hard to come by.

Your best best is to find an earlier "Nuovo" GTV from 81 to 83. These would look identical to an early split dash GTV6 except for the badging, 4 stud wheels and of course the engine/exhaust system/rear pipe. Remember the Nuovo has a different front apron and black anodised window surrounds plus a non opening quarter window.

It shouldn't be hard to find an early Nuovo GTV going for a song - nobody much wants them - neither a GTV6 or a metal bumper GTV for Group S. Perfect!
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Davidm1600

Hey Paul

I reckon that not only perhaps should the early Alfetta GT/GTVs be saved for Group S but as well saved for road rallying (eg Targa etc) and general road use. For as you say they are starting to get thin on the ground now and you know what happened to the 105 GTV, its only a matter of time before more realise just how good these coupes were.  In my view they should be seen as a true classic and saved so that there are some really good ones left, without being barstardisd for racing, for all to appreciate.

Ditto the GTV6, though apart from the V6 engine I am not a huge fan of the GTV6, prefering the uncluttered look of the early cars.  Just my opinion.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Scott Farquharson

If you don't want to use a GTV6 then yes an early 2L plastic bumper car would be the way to go.  There are a lot of differences between the GTV6 and the metal bumper 2L cars - too many to fix.  I would imagine that PRC would require external trim to be correct which is almost impossible from metal bumper to plastic.  Don't forget there are quite a number of other difference from GTV6 to 2L - such as: fuel tank is in a different position, 4 vs 5 stud wheels, engine mounts, radiator and surround, to mention a few.  I'd give this a lot of consideration before commtting to converting a 2L car.  A well worn GTV6 may well be a cheaper option.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

redalfaracing

OK, i am open to offers. 1 good 77 shell with a couple of damaged complete cars for spares to swap for a Gtv 6 of any vintage to turn into a PRC . Transaction must take place in time for an event in November. I may even throw in a 2.5 litre 75 for the right car.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

dreamboat

'85 GTV6 for sale in trading post

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Used-Cars/Sports-Performance-Cars/AdNumber=8458121?BackToResult=true

Alfa Romeo, GTV6, 1985 2.5lt. V6. Red. Very low kms. Suit Alfa enthusiast. Good body. Fact/sunroof. Alfa wheels. No reg. Sell as is. $2900ono. (0411)252483, FITZROY NORTH

not mine, no association with seller etc etc

dreamboat

redalfaracing

Scott, i have taken your advice and got myself an '83 GTV6, Great car at a fair price so now if anybody wants the '77 shell with enough bits to make a s class racer, i have 1 for sale. If you are interested shoot me off an email
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

Scott Farquharson

Congrats Greg!

I may be interested in the 77 car.... Send me a PM.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Rob Berson

Thanks for all the advice. My choice was between a red 82 in decent original condition needing some mechanical work and a white 85 in excellent original condition for a few thousnd dollars more - decided to go with the 85. Looks great, sounds great - just need to get the electric windows sorted and a blue slip and then Ii can take it for a drive.
If anybody is interested in the 82, I can give you some details.

Rob

1750GT

Congratulations Rob, looks like a fine beast. Post some interior shots when you get a chance.

1750GT

pep105

Congrats both Rob and Greg on your GTV6s good stuff. Greg does your 83 have the split dash? - can you post photos ?

Quote from: dreamboat on January 14, 2009, 09:53:11 AM
'85 GTV6 for sale in trading post

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Used-Cars/Sports-Performance-Cars/AdNumber=8458121?BackToResult=true

Alfa Romeo, GTV6, 1985 2.5lt. V6. Red. Very low kms. Suit Alfa enthusiast. Good body. Fact/sunroof. Alfa wheels. No reg. Sell as is. $2900ono. (0411)252483, FITZROY NORTH

I had a look at this one on Friday night much to the disgust of my wife! the people selling it have misplaced the keys and are trying to locate them as we speak photos attached if anyones intertested.. Cheers 
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

redalfaracing

Pep105, mine has a one piece dash. i don't have it home yet, but when i do i will post a photo or 2. the one you looked at doesn't appear to have a sunroof. i was led to believe that only the '83 came with no sunroof. i was going to have a look at that one, glad i didn't. all the way to fitzroy to find they have lost the keys... i don't think so.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

pep105

Hey Greg,

The photos dont show it but it did have a sunroof, bit unfortunate about the keys though, however the lady I spoke to on the phone was selling it on behalf of her son told me that she had many enquiries but no one could check out the car inside or try to start it re the keys missing (at least she told me before hand), although as it was parked on the street in East Brunswick she welcomed the idea of having a look and as I live about 10mins from there thought yeah why not (just the thing to stir up the missus!). Also it hasnt been fired up in about 3 years and is originally from Adelaide. Where did you buy yours from ? Also Ive seen later models 84-86 with no sunroof.
Cheers

Pep
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

redalfaracing

pep, i got mine from a guy in moorabbin. club member with a good heart who wanted the car to be used for good, not evil ( wrecking) picking up on friday, can't wait to hear her purr!
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC