Car preparation for sprints

Started by Craig Sinclair, January 03, 2009, 12:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Sinclair

Hi, I've got a couple of questions for those that might know in regard to specific requirements for safety equipment upgrades I want to make to my Alfetta GT for this years sprints. I'm not looking at doing anything other than the sprints (no group S).

1. Seat. If I fit an aftermarket seat, does it have to meet any specific standard? I've had a look at a new SAAS seat (not fixed back), but they don't have any tags on them. Are there any CAMS requirements at this level (I've scoured the manual & cant find anything) and does anyone know if it needs to have some sort of Australian Standard to meet any ADR?

2. Harness. Pretty much same as above. The manual lists the applicable standards. I've seen some that have ADR compliance, but don't have date tags. I think these are non FIA, but AS2596, which are listed in the CAMS manual.  Are these non dated but ADR compliant any good for sprint use? I'll probably be going for a 4 point. Again. I have seen some where the shoulder straps  join & are fixed to one point (3 point). Any recommendations here? My understanding is that as the car is registered, the fitting of a harness does not shorten the expiry date of the extinguisher?
If anyone has any tips for the rear mounting in a GT/GTV it would be appreciated.

3. Tow hook. After beaching the car in the Winton mud during the year & having problems getting it hitched up (sorry everyone!) I think its time to fit a tow hook. (I actually think that this should be in the sup-regs, It would help to make the track days less disrupted) Could someone who has fitted one give me a run-down on how they did it?

Finally, if anyone has any suitable gear available, or any other suggestions, please drop me a line.

Hopefully, with the upgrades, I'll be safe(er) while I'm staying out of everyone else's way!

Cheers, Craig
Current: 2012 Toyota 86
1976 Alfetta GT
Previous Alfa ownership:
1980 Alfetta Sedan
1977 Alfetta GTV
33 Quadrifoglio

Colin Byrne

1. The seat does not need to meet any specific standard for sprint events.  Shedule C of the cams manual states

7. only with such replacement seat which in closed cars first registered with CAMS after 1 January 1980, and in which
the relevant regulations permit the replacement of the driver's seat:
• incorporates a head restraint;
• does not incorporate adjustment of the rake of the squab;

But cars do not need to comply with schedule C for sprint events.  However If you where going to the expense of buying a new seat I would look at getting one with a fixed back.

2. Harnesses do  have to be FIA approved (with an expiry date) or ADR approved.  ADR approved belts are perfect for sprint events because they have no expiry date so as long as you take care of them they will last you a while.  Fitting harness does not reduce the age limit on the extinguishes that's only for roll cages.  Sorry no idea where to put one in an alfetta

3. No help here either

I still have this seat for sale or you can try Maranello Motors who can supply you new seats and harness (that's where i got the ones for my race car)

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,68/topic,294.msg1069/#msg1069

Hope that helps a bit
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

dehne

now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Craig Sinclair

Thanks for that Colin. At this time, I still want to fit an adjustable, not fixed back, seat as the car will still primarily be a road car. I have been looking for something suitable secondhand locally (Ballarat) with no luck.
Does anyone have any ideas? Ideally, something from a late model sports coupe as they will need to fold forward. FWD GTV, 206 GTI, Astra SRI etc?  A local parts shop has an OK SAAS seat that I'll go for if I can't find anything else...
Thanks & cheers, Craig.
Current: 2012 Toyota 86
1976 Alfetta GT
Previous Alfa ownership:
1980 Alfetta Sedan
1977 Alfetta GTV
33 Quadrifoglio