Fitting 147 17” Teledial rims on a 916 GTV

Started by Roman, September 11, 2021, 02:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roman

Hey guys,

So I've gotten my hands on a set of 17" three ringed Teledial rims off a 147 and was looking to fit these on my GTV 3.0 V6. Now I know the offset is different and they won't fit without a spacer. My questions are - what size spacers would I need, do they need to be hub centric and where can I get them for a reasonable price? Thanks heaps.

Craig_m67

What's the offset printed / cast in the new wheels?
What's the offset of your old wheels?

What's your desired offset, OEM v6, 4banger, other (GTA, GT), perhaps you have no idea??

The rest is maths

Who told you they won't fit without a spacer??
(Back in the day I ran original GTA teledials on a 156 Sportwagon that originally had 15" Steelies.. no drama, spacers, issues)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Roman

The offset for the 147 rims are 7Jx17 ET40.5, whereas the offset for my current set of aftermarket rims are 8Jx18 ET25 - big difference.

I've even physically checked to see if I could do it without spacers, but for the front, the calipers are just too wide. I've fit those same rims on a 2.0 spider (99' model) and they didn't need a spacer, but the brake calipers are smaller on those models 😕

PJPAlfa

Hopefully this thread might also be useful. https://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=20134.0;topicseen

A key difference is my car is a Twin Spark and your V6 model is likely to have bigger brakes to consider.

The websites referred to in the thread are a good resource to check calculation (note that the site I used was US based requiring conversion from imperial to metric. The 147 rims have been on the car now for well over 12 months and whilst not driven as much over the last year I have not had any problems with them.

Good luck.

shiny_car

Quote from: Roman on September 11, 2021, 06:30:24 PM
The offset for the 147 rims are 7Jx17 ET40.5, whereas the offset for my current set of aftermarket rims are 8Jx18 ET25 - big difference.

Other factors aside (eg: whether the spokes clear the calipers, etc), if you want the front face of the 147 wheels to sit exactly in the same position as your 18" wheels, then you'll need a:

28.2mm spacer

ie: (7" wide wheel vs 8" = 25.4mm/2) + (40.5 - 25) = 12.7 + 15.5 = 28.2mm

You'll probably find either a 25mm (wheel will sit inboard 3.2mm more than the 18" wheel) or 30mm (wheel will sit 1.8mm more outboard) spacer available.

Note, I'm not an advocate for spacers.  Depending upon the spacer thickness and design, you'll need longer bolts (though the spacers may come with everything you need).  Obviously ensure the spigot hole diameter is correct for the wheels (ie: 58.1mm diameter).  There are usually insurance implications too, so check, and ensure you're willing to accept any liability.

You might find some locally, but given the popularity  ;) of Alfa's, I doubt it.  Some places will probably custom make them.  Otherwise, I've bought from alfisti.net in DE many times with no issues.

https://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styling/Alfa-GTV-Spider/Wheel-Spacers-Bolts/Wheel-Spacer-System-II::1037.html (you won't pay VAT but you'll likely pay GST and import charges, depending upon the delivery company)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Roman

Thanks for the reply guys.

Yeah, I'm aware of the issues regarding insurance and that there's a mixed opinion whether spacers are good or not (more are against than for it from what I've researched).

30mm is quite a large spacer and in that case it might not be wise to use those rims (I could change the brakes to be the same as the 2.0 versions, but that would be the height of stupidity ;D)

Would it also be the same story for the 147 GTA rims?

It's a shame because I've put in a lot of effort to restore and repaint the set I've got.

I've put them up for sale if anyone's interested :-) 

sprint speciale

In my opinion they will always be cheap ugly 147 wheels no matter how much effort you put into them.

There is a reason why no one has them on their 916 ........have you noticed ?

Alfa has produced lovely stylish factory options  - these are not one of them ...... eg. I have GTA wheels on all my 916s.

Sorry Roman.

Frank

1963 Giulia Sprint Speciale no. 796 Ruddspeed RHD
1964 Giulia Spider (restoration)
1968 1300 GT Junior
1969 1750 Spider Veloce (osso di seppia)
1974 Alfasud L
1978 Alfetta GTV
1984 Alfetta GTV 6
1999 GTV 6 (GTA Engine)
2001 Spider lusso
2006 V6 Q4 Brera (Supercharged)
2011 159 2.4 Sportswagon

Italian Supermodel

Good point Frank...

They look good  on a 147 ( the 12(?) spoked alloy looks better still IMO)

Your three ringed teledials on a 916 gtv,  Yeh.... Nah

Craig_m67

Wow, that's a bit harsh.

Opinions, subjective, arseholes etc., lucky you didn't post a picture of your dog!  :)

I'm old enough to remember them when they came out, given the choices (on any car) at the time, they were actually really quite striking.  Although working with X-ray at the time, they couldn't help but remind me of all the warning signs (biological in particular).  I prefer them to the teledial offered on the std 156 (not the GTA, those are timeless, I put those on sooty)

Good luck selling them on, but don't put your hopes on making your materials/effort money back, you can pick up an entire 147 with wheels for less.

Also, I'd be surprised if you need such a thick spacer .. you might be able to get away with a slimmer one, it just needs to clear the calipers - and not completely f#ck up the tracking (although I wouldn't recommend spacers either, insurance, point of failure,#paininthearse)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

sprint speciale

Its not harsh Craig........Its just reality and fact. (Alfa community and market has also reinforced this)

Your right. You can buy an entire 147 for 1K .

Frank.

1963 Giulia Sprint Speciale no. 796 Ruddspeed RHD
1964 Giulia Spider (restoration)
1968 1300 GT Junior
1969 1750 Spider Veloce (osso di seppia)
1974 Alfasud L
1978 Alfetta GTV
1984 Alfetta GTV 6
1999 GTV 6 (GTA Engine)
2001 Spider lusso
2006 V6 Q4 Brera (Supercharged)
2011 159 2.4 Sportswagon

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au