Twin Spark Cup 156 Project

Started by Alfatango, August 15, 2021, 10:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazzbazz

Quote from: Craig_m67 on September 01, 2021, 05:21:41 PM
Dude, we were smarter :)

As I always say to my sons - "I'm not smarter than you, I've just been here longer!"
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

warsch

I've seen both options - keeping the buttons in place, as it's easier. Or being moved to center console.

I don't think there's a need to break glass ever on a circuit track. But I'd think a fire extinguisher would do the trick.

bazzbazz

Quote from: Alfatango on September 04, 2021, 03:27:41 PM
No turning back now. Hopefully the car still starts ;D

Isn't this where someone pipes up with "OH MY GOD! YOU DIDN'T CUT THAT WIRE DID YOU!!!"   :o

;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

warsch

Quote from: Alfatango on September 04, 2021, 03:30:06 PM
Trial fitted the L Brackets and Momo XL Daytona and it fits but but get sliding rails if you planning to not cut out the factory rails. It's way too close to the steering wheel for me and I wouldn't mind some more head room.

I told you so!

warsch

Quote from: Alfatango on September 04, 2021, 03:34:32 PM
Hey Warsch, to install this, would you cut out the whole section and weld these to the floor or its it the top part of the factory rail only and you mount these instead?

I'd cut this standard bracket off, it's too close to the steering wheel and too high.

However, like I said, mounting L brackets to the floor is unsafe.

You need some bars welded across. That link has quite good pictures showing the end result.

For small time circuit racing you can get away with some simpler stuff like two perpendicular bars on top of which you mount L brackets.

My setup now is just a bucket seat on standard rails so I can't take pictures. I'll look something up online

Sheldon McIntosh

Only just saw this thread.  Nice work on the build so far.

Go over the TS Cup regulations very carefully.  You WILL want to get involved with it after a few track days.  And build your car to those regulations, you don't want to be backtracking and refitting stuff you've removed.  Regarding windows and switches, you need to keep glass for the TS Cup, so just keep the switches in situ. 

My advice would be to do as much as you can while keeping to the TS Cup regs, come to a few track days to shakedown the car, and talk to as many TS Cup competitors as possible, and have a good look over their cars.

I wouldn't get too excited about the Federal tyres either, they're shit, barely better than a road tyre, and nowhere near as good as a decent R tyre.  But it's the same for everyone, so all good.  From memory they work best with a high pressure.

Good luck with the build.

warsch

Quote from: Alfatango on September 06, 2021, 08:49:16 PM
If I wanted to chop of the muffler, can I just angle grind it off? Would it still pass noise limit tests for track days without the muffler? Does it need a pipe welded onto it to take the exhaust gas past the bumper?

I checked the Twin Spark Cup regulations and it says the exhaust is free from manifold back and you can get rid of the muffler.

Just chopping it off is ugly, get the exhaust shop to weld in some basic straight hot dog muffler at least. I recommend gutting the catalytic converter, or even better to replace it with a pipe. Scrappies will buy it for about a hundred which is about the same as you'd pay to weld in a pipe instead. I simply gutted mine and noticed a fair bit of torque at the low end. I assume it helped in high rev range too it's just not that obvious.

warsch

Quote from: Sheldon McIntosh on September 05, 2021, 09:26:36 PM
Go over the TS Cup regulations very carefully.  You WILL want to get involved with it after a few track days.  And build your car to those regulations, you don't want to be backtracking and refitting stuff you've removed.  Regarding windows and switches, you need to keep glass for the TS Cup, so just keep the switches in situ. 

My advice would be to do as much as you can while keeping to the TS Cup regs, come to a few track days to shakedown the car, and talk to as many TS Cup competitors as possible, and have a good look over their cars.

Solid advice right there!

Colin Edwards

Nice use of the rev limiter!!!

The original 156 Cats are probably 600<800 cells per square inch (CPSI).  Never seen inside an Alfa cat, however if they are ceramic cells and assuming say 600 CPSI, each individual cell will be around 0.65mm in diameter.  A metallic cat will likely support thinner cell walls so each cell may be say 0.75mm dia.  Pretty restrictive!  Given the role of the cat is to expose as much gas as possible to the catalyst, the cell section is rarely circular.  Result is a high wall surface area to cross section ratio - much like a radiator. 

Cats make pretty good mufflers, so replacing the stock Alfa cat/s with say 100 CPSI cat will probably not cause engine check light and support much improved gas flow while managing noise.  A metallic cell 100 CPSI cat will probably feature at least 2mm cells.

All tracks have noise limits that must not be exceeded.  Sandown is particularly stringent for good reason.  Not unusual to black flag at least one car at most Sandown sprints.  That 156 in the youtube clip would be sent home!

Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Beatle

Just put new tape back over the holes once you've cleaned up the wheel tub.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

bazzbazz

Quote from: Beatle on September 12, 2021, 09:42:28 AM
Just put new tape back over the holes once you've cleaned up the wheel tub.

Hah, otherwise if you weld them up you'll find there's some secret super critical magical reason why the previous owner put them there.  ::)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

bazzbazz

Quote from: Alfatango on September 12, 2021, 02:35:24 PM
As greatly engineered as the cloth tape going around the wires every 10 cm I think most alfa electrical problems are because of no protection on the electrical wires.

Ugh, the bloody Mummy Tape! Don't get me started . . . . .  ::)

As for the plastic conduit, use it in conjunction with Silicone Tape to bind it and keep any of the wires escaping from the split down the conduit. Also known as "Miracle Tape", "Rescue Tape" ect ect.

Brilliant stuff.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

bazzbazz

Yep, it's confirmed, you have WAAY too much free time on your hands!  :)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Beatle

Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

bazzbazz

Quote from: Beatle on September 12, 2021, 07:18:35 PM
Hmm, giving me flashbacks to a TR7.........

Yeah, the type that make you sit bolt upright in the middle of the night screaming . . . .  ;D

Quote from: Alfatango on September 12, 2021, 04:34:16 PM
Going to re do the dash into a mahogany color to give the car an early italian race car / ferrari vibe.

Quote from: Alfatango on September 12, 2021, 04:35:55 PM
Tartan trim for the door skin

Oh yeah, both of them together just screams italian race car . . . . :o

;D ;D ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast