Author Topic: Twin Spark Cup & Enduro 156 Project  (Read 16055 times)

Alfatango

Re: Twin Spark Cup & Enduro 156 Project
« Reply #180 on: October 12, 2021, 10:14:18 AM »
Here is what the towing strap will screw into. This requires the foam bit behind the bumper to come off or be cut up to fit. This will need a much bigger hole in the bumper as the D Bracket is lower as well.

I donít like the angle of force that will be applied to the plate. With its thickness it can just crack and snap. Unless itís some expensive brand name strap. Hence why I stick to standard eye bolts. Yes, they bend, but so what? They are also free.

Most towing straps are around $30 and say they are fia or cams compliant. The red sparco one was about the same but than again I bought sparco driving shoes and they fell apart after 1 year. Yeah I was thinking about using the standard eye hooks but already have the bumper off. If the car is wedged in the gravel than I thought this would have better angles for a tow truck to get it out.

Anyone have these D Brackets snap on them?

It does say its heat treated.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 10:17:42 AM by Alfatango »
156 2.0 TS Track Car

Previous:
159 3.2 JTS TI AWD
2x GT JTS Selespeed

Colin Edwards

• AROCA Member #: 5065
« Reply #181 on: October 12, 2021, 10:21:42 AM »
Agree with use of the standard eye bolt.  However Schedule B (r) in the CAMS regs requires a 40mm dia "test tool" must be able to pass through the eye.  Its for this reason most people use an OMP, Sparco or whatever tow strap.  The return loop in the strap easily complies with the Schedule B (r) requirement.
Schedule B (r) also requires the tow device MUST support dragging the vehicle with all wheels locked across a sealed surface.  The recovery team MUST know what they are doing.  Seen some very brutal attempts at vehicle recovery with disastrous results!!
The tow strap plate could be bolted to the tow "eye" via the largest dia SHCS you can fit plus suitable flat washers.  Use a stainless steel nylock nut. 
The vehicle MUST be towed in line with the axis of the eye bolt or it may bend.  These eye bolts are drop forged like a spanner and "should" be pretty tough. 
Present
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Alfatango

« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2021, 10:30:38 AM »
The tow strap plate could be bolted to the tow "eye" via the largest dia SHCS you can fit plus suitable flat washers.  Use a stainless steel nylock nut. 

Thanks Colin. Have you got any pictures of what this looks like? I bought the grade 8.8 bolts but I am guessing this is something different?

I did a search and this is a socket head cap screw. https://www.aftfasteners.com/socket-cap-screws-dimensions-and-mechanical-properties/

So essentially the main difference between  a normal bolt and this is that you need a male end socket to unscrew it? It's not that that the head comes off?

Or are you saying it should the male end bit of thread that goes in the towing hole and you put a separate nut on the end?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 11:29:28 AM by Alfatango »
156 2.0 TS Track Car

Previous:
159 3.2 JTS TI AWD
2x GT JTS Selespeed

Colin Edwards

• AROCA Member #: 5065
« Reply #183 on: October 12, 2021, 12:58:44 PM »
See attached image of what I knocked together for my 75.  The M10 shackle is rated to 1000kg and complies with AS 2741.  M10 refers to the pin diameter - not the "bow" or "D" section.
You could use one of these to fix the tow strap to the eye bolt. 
I joined 2 tow straps as the tow "loop" welded to the 75 chassis rail is a fair way back from the front bumper.  One tow strap would have been too short.
The two straps pictured are joined via an M10 SHCS.  These are class 10.9 - pretty tough!!  Around 1100MPa as I recall.
The Alfa eye bolt pictured (from the wifes Giulietta) has a 26mm wide eye - so technically not legal for motorsport use.  Must be no less than 40mm.   
If you use the biggest dia SHCS that will fit through the hole in the tow strap plate (DO NOT DRILL OUT OR MODIFY THE TOW STRAP IN ANY WAY) and a couple of M10 HEAVY square washers you should be good to go.
Present
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

warsch

« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2021, 10:18:59 AM »
Phew, I just had 4 weekends of race meets straight. The car handled it just fine. And with some solid seat time I was able to get close to my 2019 records and even beat a couple. Which is while nice but slightly disappointing as the car seems a bit quicker to accelerate.

I've also officially became a Competition Convenor for AROCA QLD chapter. And now trying to scramble ideas how to lure new and returning folks into sprints, racing and so on. So any ideas are welcome.

Alfatango

« Reply #185 on: October 13, 2021, 10:42:01 AM »
See attached image of what I knocked together for my 75.  The M10 shackle is rated to 1000kg and complies with AS 2741.  M10 refers to the pin diameter - not the "bow" or "D" section.
You could use one of these to fix the tow strap to the eye bolt. 
I joined 2 tow straps as the tow "loop" welded to the 75 chassis rail is a fair way back from the front bumper.  One tow strap would have been too short.
The two straps pictured are joined via an M10 SHCS.  These are class 10.9 - pretty tough!!  Around 1100MPa as I recall.
The Alfa eye bolt pictured (from the wifes Giulietta) has a 26mm wide eye - so technically not legal for motorsport use.  Must be no less than 40mm.   
If you use the biggest dia SHCS that will fit through the hole in the tow strap plate (DO NOT DRILL OUT OR MODIFY THE TOW STRAP IN ANY WAY) and a couple of M10 HEAVY square washers you should be good to go.

Thanks Colin. I appreciate you and Warsch, Bazz etc all sharing the knowledge! Saves a lot of false starts and dead ends.
156 2.0 TS Track Car

Previous:
159 3.2 JTS TI AWD
2x GT JTS Selespeed

Alfatango

« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2021, 10:52:39 AM »
Phew, I just had 4 weekends of race meets straight. The car handled it just fine. And with some solid seat time I was able to get close to my 2019 records and even beat a couple. Which is while nice but slightly disappointing as the car seems a bit quicker to accelerate.

I've also officially became a Competition Convenor for AROCA QLD chapter. And now trying to scramble ideas how to lure new and returning folks into sprints, racing and so on. So any ideas are welcome.

That's awesome! Congrats.

My key suggestion would be to make it very simple and show pictures for beginners. Obviously you need to put up the terms and conditions but start with what you need for a sprint which is a fire extinguisher, how it's mounted and that's about it. Show pictures.

Everyone thinks you need a roll cage etc.

Describe the sprint format as 6x sessions by 15 minutes. Maybe show an entire sprint session from pits to pits as example on video to show no one is banging doors and trading paint.

Tell people what a yellow, red and black flag means as I thought the session was cancelled on a red flag.

Show people how to mount the timing device and the website the timing device shows the time.

Add some tips like ensure your tyres are in good condition and get some proper brake pads. Don't need slotted discs or braided brake lines.

Go with a full tank of fuel on your first one and after subsequent ones go on 3/4 or half if you driving to the track.

Discuss driving to the track v trailers. Tell people they can hire a trailer from a servo for $150 or so. Talk about towing capacities for the tow car as racecar plus servo trailer equals say 1700kg. Potentially talk about tow bars.

Also make it simple that all you need is a CAMS license for $80 with no prior experience.

And update the website with the entry form early or do it through the Motorsport Australia/CAMS portal as thats very easy to use.

All this I had to figure out from scratch, forums, calling cams and talking to people at sprints. Quite a lot for someone to figure out before they venture out on a track.

Also mention you have instructors that can help on a warm up session and ensure you are the checked in at 8am etc.

Also tell them about pit options as at Phillip Island you pay for a pit but it's first come first serve and beats standing out in the wind and rain all day.

The reason I started this thread is so people can realize you can buy a cheap 156 and go pretty hard for not a lot of money compared to a lot used cars nowadays. And there is no point of people making the same mistakes everyone makes at the start of anything.

As a funny thing you could do is call it going from SIM Racing to the Track. Get all the iracer, gran turismo, acc and forza people to do it in real life. There is a great comradery at the track with heaps of other car nuts all being there in unity for the same reason.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 11:02:16 AM by Alfatango »
156 2.0 TS Track Car

Previous:
159 3.2 JTS TI AWD
2x GT JTS Selespeed

warsch

« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2021, 11:16:21 AM »
These are some good ideas, some of that I've already done in the capacity of just a competitor. But maybe I wasn't persistent enough but I'll obviously continue. I'm just thinking that the auditory and the media wasn't right.

I plan a series of posts explaining the process etc.

It's all fun and safe but then you run into stuff like this:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4M2Qy0r24I" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4M2Qy0r24I</a>

Alfatango

« Reply #188 on: October 13, 2021, 11:28:35 AM »
These are some good ideas, some of that I've already done in the capacity of just a competitor. But maybe I wasn't persistent enough but I'll obviously continue. I'm just thinking that the auditory and the media wasn't right.

I plan a series of posts explaining the process etc.

It's all fun and safe but then you run into stuff like this:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4M2Qy0r24I" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4M2Qy0r24I</a>

Yeah you should mention something about the risks and that everyone is a hero until they crash. But there a lot of people out there that are not trying set qualifying times at the expense of others. If people want to do that than a Sprint isn't for then and do it in a qualifying session at a race day. Also the marshals are there and can be talked to ala Christian Horner ;D

Maybe chop up all overtaking moves and put it in its own montage to show you can overtake on the straights when both people know what is happening. If a car is a lot faster than you than stay on the racing line and back of slightly and let them pass. Do not stop, brake unnecessarily or try to get out of the way in an erratic fashion. At my very first track day I indicated and got off the racing line as there was an r35 gtr behind and I couldn't keep him behind me for ever which is not how you do things.

Another thing that helps is watching YouTube videos of v8 supercar drivers at the track to find the right line. Than watch someone in a car similar to yours to set the right time. Or even break down the video of a v8 supercar driver and yourself setting a good lap time as in vic there are only 3 tracks so the racing line hasn't changed for many years ;D. I took off about 2 seconds at Sandown just following someone really good in a car with similar speeds to mine and ruthlessly copied their line which probably fast tracked my time about a couple of years.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 12:02:44 PM by Alfatango »
156 2.0 TS Track Car

Previous:
159 3.2 JTS TI AWD
2x GT JTS Selespeed

Alfatango

« Reply #189 on: October 13, 2021, 04:11:38 PM »
Warsch - another vein of blog posts could be around working in a small garage efficiently as the new generation of racers won't be buying houses with big garages any more. Unfortunately most people will end up in a apartment or town house with a tiny garage if they do really well so technically you need to spend a million dollars or more in Melbourne or Sydney to work on a cheap alfa ;D. Car storage in a container is about $50 a week and some workshops also have storage options for a cost at a warehouse.
156 2.0 TS Track Car

Previous:
159 3.2 JTS TI AWD
2x GT JTS Selespeed

warsch

« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2021, 04:28:59 PM »
That hits home so much. I even have some pictures.

That's me replacing the whole suspension in a multilevel car park. In someone else's spot too:

And here's me installing poly bushes in a k i t c h e n (apparently the word is being replaced by SPAM when I just leave it):

Older unit would have separate garages, so there's no problem at all. Though my lease wasn't renewed so we moved from 2-garage place to a place with 1 tiny garage which is all clogged with our stuff. I will be doing all the work just on a street. At least Queensland climate is in favour of such activities.

Alfatango

« Reply #191 on: October 13, 2021, 06:47:32 PM »
Nice work!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 11:02:13 AM by Alfatango »
156 2.0 TS Track Car

Previous:
159 3.2 JTS TI AWD
2x GT JTS Selespeed

Alfatango

« Reply #192 on: October 15, 2021, 11:08:48 AM »
How important is the hazard light switch in a race car? Are there any situations or regulations that require it? I would rather cut it out than figure out a new mounting point as got rid of all the metal brackets under the 3 air ventilation switches (gives it more of a fighter jet feel ;)). I will be replacing the 3 guages with aftermarket fuel gauges, water and oil temp as I don't need a clock and the water temp guage is useless in the 156 and 159 imo as they only have one wire going into the whole Guage Cluster.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 11:11:03 AM by Alfatango »
156 2.0 TS Track Car

Previous:
159 3.2 JTS TI AWD
2x GT JTS Selespeed

Alfatango

« Reply #193 on: October 16, 2021, 04:05:22 PM »
Anyone have any tips for taking out the sound deadening. I bought a can that freezes electrical circuits from jay car but it doesnt make any difference as some youtube vids claim. I have used a blunt chisel before but that takes forever and leaves residue. I bought a sharp chisel this time but it is stripping the paint of as well so I will may just do it and paint over it. Ideally it would be a 40 degree day so it heats up but not waiting to summer. Would a hair dryer make any difference?

It's coming along. In some ways this is the best mod you can do to a non registered  car as all you need is a hammer, chisel and 3x spray cans @$15 each.
156 2.0 TS Track Car

Previous:
159 3.2 JTS TI AWD
2x GT JTS Selespeed

Alfatango

« Reply #194 on: October 16, 2021, 04:06:17 PM »
Barn find martini 156 touring car ;D
156 2.0 TS Track Car

Previous:
159 3.2 JTS TI AWD
2x GT JTS Selespeed