What brand head gasket

Started by shiny_car, April 29, 2021, 08:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiny_car

Hey everyone

I'm planning on replacing the head gaskets (routine work, not because of damage) in my 12V 3.0.  Retaining standard piston bore and compression, and no forced induction, so I figure 'OEM' quality will suffice.

However, I've read 'recent' reports about Reinz not being as good as they once were; such reports may be a couple years old mind you!  But even the EB Spares website (UK vendor) mentions that one of the holes may need enlarging (no mention of which hole, related to what).
https://www.ebspares.co.uk/part/A/EB8/EB81477.cfm

Also reports about the Reinz not having an integrated 'gasket' around the oil channels (O-ring kinda section), and needing to use a separate squared/flat O-ring.  Hopefully that has been rectified.

'Victor Reinz' still remains a frontrunner.  But also considering Ajusa, which I've read is reputable.

What's the latest impression from folks here?  Info about particular brands to avoid will be as valuable to hear, or particular vendors to buy from.  I shop online because of location and convenience; impractical to make visits to local mechanics, etc, to buy stuff, sorry.

TIA.
Richard
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

pasey25

I've used spesso gaskets for some of my fulvias with good results, and they are well regarded in lancia circles.

a quick google reveals  they may do a gasket for a 3.0 Alfa V6. I haven't deep dived to see if it would specifically suit a 75 though.
Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100
2001 156 Monza Sele 2.0TS
2010 159 TI 2.4 SW

shiny_car

Ok, thanks pasey!

I'll see if they offer one, and availability.  Otherwise, thinking I'll go with Ajusa.

:)

bteoh

Hi Richard,
I ordered a set of Victor Reinz from EBSpares and it appears one of the stud holes on one corner may need enlarging. I haven't trial fitted it yet so can't tell you if it needs enlarging. See the note on the gasket ( It appears it is the left bank in the 75 or front bank in the 164 ).
Cheers

shiny_car

Ok, thank you for the clarification and photo!  Nothing major then.

bteoh

Richard,
The new Victor Reinz gasket also has the ribbed O ring embedded inside. So no problems that I can foresee using it.

shiny_car

Thank you again.

I did an order of various parts from EB Spares last night, including a set of the Victor Reinz head gaskets.  Your info gave me more confidence.  Having said that, I want to also order a set of Ajusa gaskets; if not for comparison, then just spares!

@ pasey: my research into Spesso gaskets yielded nothing for the V6 cars, only 4 cyl.  They look good though!