Noisy radiator fan gtv6

Started by Aussieotto, September 15, 2020, 08:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussieotto

Folks ,

Gtv6 1984  , I have a very noisy radiator fan and about to go away for week including some track stuff.
was planning on using another car (it has no roof) , so shit weather means the gtv6 is being pressed into action.
so job that was on the must do that soon now  is should do in next three days.

a, is it possible to service bearing in radator ?
b, given its winter and I have two fans , can I just disconnect noisy one ?
c. Is there a non Melbourne wrecker or shop I could source fans
d. Any where in australia that would sell replacement  or simular

I know this is a last minute desperate question ....

thanks

peter

John A Pucak

I pulled both my fans apart and overhauled as best I could. The problem I found was that the bearing bush had dried out and that it wasn't cylindrical anymore and took on an elliptical shape from all the wear. trying to find another sintered bearing that size is near impossible. Best bet is to find another fan where the bearing is not worn out and replace.

bazzbazz

Quote from: sportiva on September 16, 2020, 03:38:13 PM
I want to add some tips for my answer to question a. Pulling the fan motor apart is easy, putting it back together is a little tricky.
When you pull the armature out of the brushes they move out because they are spring loaded pushing the armature back in is hard because there is no way you can push the brushes in easily so I use fishing line to pull the brushes back, then push the armature into the rear bearing then fit the motor housing over the output shaft, holding the armature down as it will be drawn up into the motor housing by the magnets then pull the fishing line out . A picture tells a thousand words so here are 4 pictures or 4k worth of words.

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then surely desperation is the father of it, for I have seen men with a necessity be very clever, yet wondered at how the desperate are driven to be downright bloody brilliant! - Baz   ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

GTVeloce

I have rebuilt a few of these fans and had good success with quieting them down. Haven't had to replace bearings but a clean and lube has down wonders for mild vibrations and noise.

As Sportiva said, the spring-loaded parts are annoying but do-able and be careful not to lose or move any pieces on the blades that might be there for balancing purposes.

bazzbazz

Surely one must be able to source a suitable Ball Bearing that you could fit from your local bearing supplier?  ???
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au