Steering noise in 3.2 Brera

Started by WTBalfabrera, March 19, 2021, 06:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTBalfabrera

Quote from: kaleuclint on March 28, 2021, 10:58:15 AM
Quote from: WTBalfabrera on March 21, 2021, 10:33:49 AM
... every 6 months...
Where did you get that???

That's typically what would be listed on my service interval indications from the mechanics I would have my cars serviced with. Though I probably drive more than most people to work each week driving approximately 210km each day to get to and from work. I'm using the Brera as a weekend toy as I can't put that many km's on it. Most of the cars I have had have had timing chains and the recommendation I have received in the past was to service every 10,000km or 6 months, whichever came sooner. Typically it was the 10,000km, I never reached the 6 months so I have no clue what the normal intervals should be. 
2007 Brera - 3.2 JTS

SeleMatt

'Morning all,

Is the P/S pump rebuildable? I can see it has a bolted on backing plate so it can be evidently disassembled etc...

bazzbazz

I believe so, but never had one done.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

SeleMatt

Cheers Bazz. I'll investigate the filter possibly causing the noise on so far, only very cold startups. I had a leaking P/S hose which I had remanufactured and the noise has started since then...lasts for less than a minute....

bazzbazz

Quote from: SeleMatt on May 28, 2021, 09:05:33 AM
Cheers Bazz. I'll investigate the filter possibly causing the noise on so far, only very cold startups. I had a leaking P/S hose which I had remanufactured and the noise has started since then...lasts for less than a minute....

That's the reason why I will no longer repair HP steering lines and only will fit new ones. There can be multiple problems with repairing lines, they can never get the positioning perfectly correct, making re-fitting a nightmare.

Also most people don't realize that the lines also have restrictors in them, and if they are not replaced/replaced with exact same one/positioned exactly, then all sorts of problems arise.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

SeleMatt

So the noise was cavitation. All is well thus far although Bazz's info on a re-manufactured rack line is less than cheery...
See what happens I guess...

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast