Millenium Spider - engine dies

Started by The Count, February 04, 2021, 09:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

Stick a hand up/down and see if you can get a grip on it.
Will likely depend if the starter motor is above or below it.

On the 1.9JTD it is below the starter motor.. so I stuck my hand up (car on stands), it was a 5minute job after I worked out how to get sufficient leverage on the Allen key (use a good one, long)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

The Count

Thanks all,
Have been waiting for our new shed to be finished before I start on this so that I have a nice, dry workplace and a level surface for stands/ramps.
Am about to order new crank angle sensor but (harping on my old question) if I choose to try replacing from below, will it be easier if I first remove the engine undertray to allow for more room/light for the job?
Nick

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

The Count

The next phase in the Crank Angle Sensor Saga.
Finally managed to find a mechanic prepared to work on the Spider.
The mechanic removed the old Crank Angle Sensor only to find that something inside the crankcase had literally bashed part of the end of the sensor off (see attached pic). There was quite a bit of damage compared with a new sensor.
Decided not to go ahead and fit the new one because there's no knowing what did the damage and a very good chance that the same thing will happen.
After a few calls, it would seem that the most likely culprit would be the fitting on the crankshaft that is "read" by the sensor but I have not been able to find an exploded diagram of the crank and its fittings anywhere.
Has anyone had the same experience?
To explore further would seem to be very labour intensive but necessary in order to find out what did the damage, replace it and remove any debris left behind by the breakage.
It would appear that this would be an "engine out" job?
Would appreciate any information on this, especially any diagrams of the crankshaft and sensor operation.