Timing Chain Noise?

Started by soakk, December 17, 2020, 09:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soakk

I've had my 159 Ti v6 a few months now and still picking up on the quirks.

A persistent noise I've heard coming out the front I first thought might have been a loose belt tensioner. Having got that replaced I'm now suspecting timing chain, but not sure.

It seems to be mostly noticeable when off throttle at around 2-3k RPM.

I know these things have a habbit of stretching the timing chain to the point where it needs to be replaced.

Should I be worried? Car has approx. 88k on the clock.
RIP
'83 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Current
'07 159 Ti V6

bonno

Hi soakk
As per the following link, timing chains on the JTS engines are designed to last the life of the car, on the proviso that oil and filter are replaced as per maintenance schedule. However, if it seems to be getting worse over time, then get it replaced  (better be safe than sorry).
http://www.alfamotive.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=43&Itemid=197

GTV6SA

You should only have to worry when codes are displayed on dash. Check oil is changed regularly ,not the periods indicated in logbook, mine gets changed every 6 months regardless of mileage  ,oil changes cheaper than engine rebuilds! Also how you drive also can dictate chain life e.g. warming up car to proper operating temp before setting off will minimise wear & tear even though handbook says don't drive off until temp gauge starts moving.

GTV6SA

What year is your V6  pre-2009 models mainly had chain stretching problems

soakk

Quote from: GTV6SA on December 17, 2020, 11:18:15 AM
What year is your V6  pre-2009 models mainly had chain stretching problems
2007 - hence my concern
RIP
'83 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Current
'07 159 Ti V6

afelice001

Changing the oil is really easy to DIY. It's a 1/2 hour job and under $100 if you get oil on sale.
Ensure you regularly check the oil level too, don't rely on the monitor in the instrument cluster on start up.