159 Ti Brake Pads/Rotor combo

Started by soakk, December 16, 2020, 03:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfa-mad

Quote from: jezzathep on December 22, 2020, 10:56:34 AM
And make sure you get slotted discs, so it looks "cool"  8)

https://www.vmaxbrakes.com.au/slotted-vmaxj-fits-alfa-romeo-159-2.4-3.2l-v6-06-o

Not bad, but I'm not really a fan of the slot shape, prefer these ones from DBA Rotors (DBA2298S)

Craig_m67

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

bazzbazz

It allows "Outgassing".

Basically - When pressure is applied to the pads against the disc while turning at speed, gasses are created from the brake pad material. This thin layer of gas inhibits braking action, the grooves allow the gas to escape and full contact between pad and disc.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

soakk

Quote from: Alfa-mad on December 30, 2020, 11:35:04 AM
Quote from: jezzathep on December 22, 2020, 10:56:34 AM
And make sure you get slotted discs, so it looks "cool"  8)

https://www.vmaxbrakes.com.au/slotted-vmaxj-fits-alfa-romeo-159-2.4-3.2l-v6-06-o

Not bad, but I'm not really a fan of the slot shape, prefer these ones from DBA Rotors (DBA2298S)

any pad recommendation to go with?
RIP
'83 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Current
'07 159 Ti V6

Alfa-mad

Quote from: Craig_m67 on December 30, 2020, 05:10:43 PM
..... and the benefit is?

I'm sure you're well aware of the benefits that slotted rotors can provide, so I assume it was a loaded question.

In the context of the person who was asking about changing rotors, they probably won't see the benefit of slotted rotors at all since the brakes won't see high temperatures just cruising around the streets, which I have a feeling is the point you were going to make.

However, they do look more aesthetically pleasing that plain solid rotors and if you can get slotted rotors for around the same price, why not?

Craig_m67

Quote from: Alfa-mad on December 31, 2020, 11:25:47 AM
Quote from: Craig_m67 on December 30, 2020, 05:10:43 PM
..... and the benefit is?

I'm sure you're well aware of the benefits that slotted rotors can provide, so I assume it was a loaded question.

In the context of the person who was asking about changing rotors, they probably won't see the benefit of slotted rotors at all since the brakes won't see high temperatures just cruising around the streets, which I have a feeling is the point you were going to make.

However, they do look more aesthetically pleasing that plain solid rotors and if you can get slotted rotors for around the same price, why not?

Actually it wasn't a loaded question. I honestly had no idea, or more likely had forgotten when somebody told me 30yrs ago.

The outgassing benefit I understand, although I can't imagine this adds any benefit on the street. Maybe coming down the Clyde mountain with a caravan/trailer.  The aesthetics.. subjective and I leave to each individual. 

bazzbazz

Quote from: Craig_m67 on December 31, 2020, 03:48:48 PM
although I can't imagine this adds any benefit on the street.

They do help prevent brake fade in certain situations, and when it comes to brakes, I won't argue with any bit of help one can get in stopping other people from running me down.  ;)

As for benifits, the same goes for many performance items, especially spoilers/wings. To my knowledge there are only a handful of aerodynamic devices for road legal cars that give any benefit in down-force, at anywhere near legal speeds. They do however create a lot of drag for no gain, and usually make the car look ridiculous and scream to the world what a complete and utter numpty you are.   ::)

Happy New Year everyone.

Check Six.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Alfa-mad

Resurrecting this topic as I previously posted in here over 2 years ago about some DBA rotors I liked the look of. Well, finally my front rotors needed changing and I got the ones I referred to, they were easy to change and very happy with the look.

For reference, I got the following front rotors and pads:
  • Discs: DBA Discs, T2 Slotted Street Series, 330mm, part no: DBA2298S
  • Pads: Valeo, part no: 670772

alfa-romeo159_DBA-brake-disc_small.jpg

MattK

So - roll your eyes if you must, but I have a 1750 TBi Ti and the rotors are very, very grooved so I need to replace both pads and rotors. Would this be achievable for someone who's comfortable changing a wheel or an air filter? I gather I would need a trolley jack. Otherwise, I'm happy to get my mechanic to tackle it but wondered if there's a cost saving if I ordered the parts myself.

Alfa-mad

Quote from: MattK on October 10, 2023, 01:02:21 PMSo - roll your eyes if you must, but I have a 1750 TBi Ti and the rotors are very, very grooved so I need to replace both pads and rotors. Would this be achievable for someone who's comfortable changing a wheel or an air filter? I gather I would need a trolley jack. Otherwise, I'm happy to get my mechanic to tackle it but wondered if there's a cost saving if I ordered the parts myself.

I'd definitely recommend order the parts and do it yourself, it's not hard to do at all, only slightly more complicated than changing a tire.

I assume you have basic tools...sockets etc?

Just remove the wheel, remove the brake caliper (easy with the Brembo's especially), remove the small bolt with
an allen key (its for stopping the disc rotating when the wheel nuts aren't in place) and just spray a little WD40 around the edges of the holes and wait a few minutes so it can penetrate and loosen grip a bit, then whack with a hammer on the backside until it comes off, easy.

Put the new disc on and do everything in reverse. Of course, make sure you order those new brake pads too, and when everything is back together, make sure you go through the bed in procedure. These parts come with instructions so refer to those.

Save yourself some dosh.

Craig_m67

Why are we rolling our eyes, it's the best engine available for that platform?