159 Ti Brake Pads/Rotor combo

Started by soakk, December 16, 2020, 03:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soakk

I'm feeling adventurous and am going to have a crack at doing an upcoming brake replacement myself on my 159. I've done a bit of Youtubing and it doesnt look overly complicated (famous last words? :P)

My only issue is I have no clue where I should get the parts from or indeed what brand of parts to get. My knee jerk reaction was to check Repco (having used to work there many years ago). But that just gives me a list of theoretically compatible parts. But all I see are price tags. Also I have no idea of these parts from the likes of Bendix etc. have the brake pad monitoring cable.

I wouldn't mind getting Brembo's like the ones that car comes with, but I cant seem to find any catalogue which gives me the part numbers I need.

Any suggestions?
RIP
'83 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Current
'07 159 Ti V6

pasey25

Italian automotive spares will have what you need.

maybe even a club discount if you ask (not sure)
Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100
2001 156 Monza Sele 2.0TS
2010 159 TI 2.4 SW

Alfa-mad

Cost of those front calipers are around $1500 to $1600aud and shipping will cost you anywhere from $100 to $200aud.

That page shows pics of front and rear calipers but the description says only left and right front caliper so I would double check exactly what you're getting for that price.

ETA? Your guess is as good as mine  :-\

bazzbazz

Ahhh, why would you be replacing the calipers??

Aren't you looking for replacement Pads & Discs/Rotors only?

If so, as already suggested, try Italian Automotive Spares in Melb or Arese Spares in Syd.

Between them you will find what you want, & usually at prices that make getting parts in from overseas not really worthwhile. Especially if there is a problem they are only a phone call away.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Craig_m67

I normally say go OS as it's cheaper for OE Alfa parts, however brake rotors/discs are heavy fuckers and unless you really want AlfaOE then just use a local supplier.

That said, if you need OE fast, Arese (Vlad) is very good/value.  He also has OE Brembo branded stuff in stock, he supplied pads and rotors overnight (syd-bris) for my GQV just recently.  If you don't really care, SuperCheap has what you need also (Bosch, DBA and Bendix have all been OE suppliers to Alfa at some stage in the last 100yrs).  Just call Vlad at Arese, it's simpler.   You may need a piston wind in tool for the rears

What 159 is it.. 330Brembos or weedy Ate/Bendix ?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

soakk

Quote from: Craig_m67 on December 17, 2020, 01:21:22 AM

What 159 is it.. 330Brembos or weedy Ate/Bendix ?

Big boy Brembo's. I dont need the calipers (at least I hope so). Car only has 88k on it.
RIP
'83 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Current
'07 159 Ti V6

Alfa-mad

haha I see the confusion here, in your first post you said you wanted to do a brake replacement and wanted Brembo like the car comes with, I assumed you mean the whole package.

In that case, you don't need overseas, can get everything local as suggested.

soakk

Quote from: Alfa-mad on December 17, 2020, 11:47:39 AM
haha I see the confusion here, in your first post you said you wanted to do a brake replacement and wanted Brembo like the car comes with, I assumed you mean the whole package.

In that case, you don't need overseas, can get everything local as suggested.

Haha no worries. Sorry for the confusion
RIP
'83 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Current
'07 159 Ti V6

kaleuclint

And replacing rotors / pads is simple, even for the non-mechanically inclined.   You'd easily recoup the cost of buying a trolley jack and axle stands from the labour a workshop would charge.

I should replace my rear pads during the shocks upgrade.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

afelice001

I did my front and rear pads last weekend.

The front pads are extremely easy - 20 mins a side max, including jacking the car and taking the wheels off.

The only thing holding in the front pads are the two pins which you'll need to knock out with a punch. Before doing them I read horror stories about rusted pins and needing heat or cutting to remove. I assume this is because of salt on the roads in Europe/UK. They were in perfect condition and came out easily for me!

The rears are also very easy. It really helps to have a caliper winding tool though!

Maltalfisti

Quote from: Alfa-mad on December 16, 2020, 05:06:08 PM
Cost of those front calipers are around $1500 to $1600aud and shipping will cost you anywhere from $100 to $200aud.

That page shows pics of front and rear calipers but the description says only left and right front caliper so I would double check exactly what you're getting for that price.

ETA? Your guess is as good as mine  :-\

Actually the Alfisti store ship really fast, using DHL I think. I ordered from them earlier this year and it left Frankfurt and got to Melbourne in the space of about a week. Sure beats regular mail – but note that the postal system requires an extra COVID-19 surcharge so yes, postage will be about €100 I'm guessing.

Had I known you needed these, I could have added them to my last order and we could have saved on postage! Oh well, next time!

Maranellon used an Aussie branded Remsa on mine. Not the sports version, but decent brakes and much cheaper than the above.

Of course, if you want performance, then go all out. And add one of these to your cart while you're at it: https://shop.alfisti.net/Fan-Articles/Office-Articles/Stelvio-Pepermint-Lozenges::9310.html?language=en  8)
The only problem with the GTV6? They forgot to install the flux capacitor...