What does Sport Mode actually change?

Started by SimplePeter, October 23, 2020, 07:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimplePeter

Hi All,

I tent to leave my 159 2.4JTDM in sport mode most of the time, except on long highway drives. I've never found much of a difference in fuel usage, but it's more fund  8)

I realise it changes the response of the gearbox, i.e holds gears longer, and seems to kick-down more readily, though I was wondering, does it have any other affect?
eg is it running a slightly different fuel map compared to 'normal' mode? or does it only change the gearbox?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

Alfa-mad

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately no other effect, the 'Sport' mode button just allows the engine to rev higher before changing gears, will stay in a gear longer and will kick-down much faster if you command it to with your right foot.

In other words, it doesn't give the engine more performance by changing the fuel map, it simply changes the transmission behaviour so you have more access to what is already there.

I see you mentioned choosing 'Sport' mode most of the time but one interesting thing to note is that the transmission has built in 'adaptability' meaning, if you are in 'Normal' mode, it will automatically change to 'Sport' mode depending on how you drive.

SimplePeter

Thanks Alfa-mad,

thats what I thought, but just wanted to confirm.

The adaptability is interesting to know, I'll have to try 'teach' my geabox how I like to drive  ;D

Alfa-mad

Quote from: SimplePeter on November 16, 2020, 08:32:45 PM
Thanks Alfa-mad,

thats what I thought, but just wanted to confirm.

The adaptability is interesting to know, I'll have to try 'teach' my geabox how I like to drive  ;D

I've done a bit of testing and found that it will automatically change it if you floor it for a bit.

For instance after a leisurely drive around town, when I hit the slip road onto the freeway, if I floor it from 60 to 100, when I reach speed limit and back off the accelerator, it holds the gear even though its at a relatively high revs.

So I don't think you need to 'teach' it like some other cars for it to react like that, as long as you've put the accelerator down far enough, it will interpret that as you essentially wanting to be in Sport mode. Once you go back to normal levels of input, it goes back to standard gear changes.

I note when it does go into Sport mode that way, the Sport mode button doesn't light up, you still have to choose it if you want it to remain in Sport mode full time.