simple Giulietta QV query

Started by poohbah, November 10, 2020, 02:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

I'm toying with the idea of making an offer on a 2014 QV on sale at a local Toyota dealer.

I originally came across it when a work colleague was looking for something to replace her boring Golf, but she rejected it cos she couldn't live with the Alfa's audio/bluetooth setup  - the kinda stuff that I couldn't care less about.

It appears to be in mint condition, 6sp manual with a tick under 50,000km and serviced as required, and priced a bit over $16k. Clearly not the usual Toyota buyers choice.

What's the recommended timing belt/water pump change schedule for this model (and assuming its lived its whole life in city traffic)? I suspect it's probably due, hence the timing of the prior owner's sale.

Not overly scary to me (though I have just spent $$$$$$$$ on the latest belt change for my V6 156...), but would be a possible bargaining chip with the dealer.

Also, can anyone give me a rough idea of how the usual cost compares with getting it done for a 156 Busso - higher/lower/similar?

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

lombardi

Timing belt service 60 k or 3 years , whatever comes first , Budget around $ 1100 to 1400 , shop around , one mechanic in syd quoted me $ 2500 lol.

Having owned a QV 2015 from new , an ok vehicle , but its front wheel drive so a bit disappointing , found it a bit bland after a while , body quality not that good either , just missing something ,  UR possible purchase sounds a bit pricey as well , considering there was an update in 2015 , i would not buy another one as a previous owner .
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

poohbah

Cheers Lombardi, and thanks for the honest feedback.

As the 156 is FWD too, I can live with that (plus I've got the Alfetta GTV for rear wheel fun...)

East coast market is clearly different to Perth  - there are very few QVs available here, even fewer with the 6sp manual (I'm really not interested in a TCT).

Of the tiny handful I've managed to find so far in WA, anything from 2015 or newer in QV or Veloce spec starts well above $20k.

I must admit, I never really considered a Giulietta til my colleague started talking about it, but I was quite taken by this particular one as it has the specific trim I like - silver with the big GTA-style teledials. (only other colour I like them in is white, and I really dislike all the other rim styles used across the range)

But I haven't even driven thjs one yet or - more importantly - dropped any hints to the missus. Which means it is still very much in the "maybe" column. (though she would possibly welcome me buying something "modern" for a change).

Hence the query about cambelt schedule and cost.

I'm almost certain it hasn't been changed, and given the age, that would be a gotta be done asap item if I were to go any further.

Buying it would also mean I'd have to get rid of the 156, which I do really love (and am jus about to have bonnet resprayed), so I'm just as likely to balk at the last minute anyway.
            1981 GTV

Craig_m67

I have a 2011 6spd manual QV (sunroof/Bose stereo, etc) just about to tick over 150K km

I can't think of another small car that is as much fun or engaging (at the price point).  The only thing I can think of replacing it with is Stelvio Ti, and they're hardly comparable classes.

Bluetooth (BT) is easily supplemented with a $5./ eBay BT/Aux in USB dongle.  I can stream from any phone/device and the in-car BT was always happy to connect to my iPhone 6, 7, X for calls/Siri etc from the steering wheel.

Cam-belt schedule for my car is every 105K km or 5years.  4years if it's a crap environment.
I would have another, specifically a blue QV with sunroof and all the toys (like mine) - if I could find it.

I've been through:
Aux/Cam-belt and water pump change
Set of tyres (Michelin PS4)
Front discs and pads (OE Brembo)
Front engine mount (OE)
Thermostat (OE)
MAF / Pre cat O2 sensor / Turbo hose (last week)
Just about to do the front brakes again.... (car lives in D)  ;)

Had to repair the rear wiring loom in the hatch (think the later models have this sorted)
Otherwise the car has been great, it's never left me stranded (limp mode is pretty flat though)

My car lives in D, my son flicks it into D if I forget or are not quick enough
Maintenance has been easy (messy oil changes aside)

If you want the manual, I would get an early car. They're cheaper and have more toys.  I'm not put off by high mileage on Alfa's, it's condition and servicing that matters.

Cambelt is not that spendy or difficult to change, and not nearly as convoluted as the Busso. 
I wouldn't leave it though, get it done with the pump when in doubt

You will endanger your license and giggle a lot when it's in D - it's a brilliant car.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

bazzbazz

By the book, the service advice for your year Giulietta 1750 TBi is -

"105,000 km - However, regardless of the distance covered, the timing belt must be changed every 4 years for particularly demanding use (cold climates, town driving, long periods of idling) or at least every 5 years."

As is the usual case, just about all cars expire on age, not mileage. I wouldn't take the car your looking at past 60,000 km/4 Years.

With the Giulietta QV the issue is not the timing belt as much (Uses an improved belt over the 2.0 TS/JTS), but the water pump, as earlier versions used the same pump as the 156/147 2.0 TS/JTS. Later models use a improved version of the pump and it is not such an issue.

There are two other points to watch for -

1/ The rear hatch wiring looms - The wires in them have a tendency to break. It's more of an issue in the UK due to temperature extremes but still does happen occasionally on aussie cars.

2/ The drivers side engine mount - If you notice any vibration of the drivers side exterior mirror (stationary at idle), vibrations through the dash or steering wheel as you drive, it needs replacing. It's a common issue on all models of Giulietta.

Costs of getting the belt & pump done are half that of the Busso. Get the engine mount replaced during the belt change as it has to come off to do the belt anyway, so its zero labour cost to get it done at the same time.

You CAN get them cheaper, but they usually have more mileage/wear & tear. I suggest you take it for a test drive and put it into "D" mode . . . . it'll take you 15 minutes to stop giggling.  ;)

(Sorry for the repeated info, it appeares the others saw your post at the same time as I did, they just type faster than I do.   ::) )
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Craig_m67

At least we're consistent and can giggle about it!

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

poohbah

Cheers Craig and Bazz.

I appreciate your assessment of the driving experience - I guess it will really come down to what I think after having a go myself.

I gather the 2014/15 cars were the last ones that came with a conventional 6sp manual, and seriously this is the only manual QV I've seen on sale here for a very long time.

In fact, currently I can only find two other QVs listed (both with TCT and 2015) anywhere here in Perth. I'd happily look at an earlier QV with manual if there were any around...

And cheers for the excellent tips on what to look out for. and how nice to hear the belt change should be less than for my Busso - I still wince everytime I have to get that done (I've had the "pleasure" of three changes over two 156s in the last 7 years).

The yard has called me back and left a message - I emailed to ask about the belt - so will know shortly. My money is on it needs to be done.
            1981 GTV

poohbah

This is the car. As I said, this spec (or same in white) is the only Giulietta I'd ever consider.
            1981 GTV

poohbah

well I've confirmed it hasn't been replaced, so will go for a test drive and a proper going over when I get a chance and if I'm still interested will go in hard on price.
            1981 GTV

Colin Edwards

SWMBO recently parted with her 2015 Giulietta QV with around 45K on the clock for $18K.  $16K from a dealer for a 2014 seems fair enough.  You will have some sort of warranty so if the belt lets go then its on the dealer.

SWMBO picks up her new Giulietta Veloce in a day or two.  This will be her third! 

Install a Quaife or Torsen LSD.  Makes a huge difference to corner exit traction and tyre life.  A nice set of PS4's or Pirelli Corsas - very quick around Winton.  Never bland!  Its a 21st Century Sud without the rust!!
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

poohbah

Cheers Colin, if I buy it'll be a cash offer so will try to get closer to $14k. Doubt they gave more than $10k to the prior owner when they traded it for a new CRV.
            1981 GTV

bazzbazz

Trading a GQV for a CRV . . . . "The Horror!"   :o
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

poohbah

Well I went to see the car and test drove it today.

It was in beautiful condition, well cared for, and was quite a spirited and engaging drive. I'm also confident I could get it for under $14k.

But I'm going to pass.

I can't fault it for what it is, and I can understand those who love their Giulietta.

But it just never made me feel like i was in an anything but an ordinary modern hatchback.  The interior (black leather, red stitching) in particular felt indistinguishable from any similar-spec Euro car of the last decade.

As good as it is as a car, I just never felt the buzz I get when driving either the Alfetta or my 156.

I came away trying to convince myself of reasons I should buy it. In the end I knew I'd just end up pining for the quintessentially Italian red leather interior, timeless styling and Busso bass-line of my 20 year old 156 - even though the Giulietta would run rings around it on the road.

To be honest, I think I'm just an analog type of guy and that contemporary cars really aren't for me.

Where's the Autotrader? - time to find that 75 3.0L I've always wanted...
            1981 GTV

bazzbazz

Quote from: poohbah on November 12, 2020, 11:44:58 PM
In the end I knew I'd just end up pining for the quintessentially Italian red leather interior

So, you have a fetish for interiors that resemble a 1930s Bordello?  ???

;D ;D ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

poohbah

Guilty your honour...

I think all modern cars have been spoiled for me - cars these days are all too much alike within their resepective segments. I'm even doubtful now that a Giulia could swing me, but I'll test that in a couple of years when I should be able to get a Veloce for sub $20k.

So just like my records, I'm going to do another cycle through the back catalogue...
            1981 GTV