Horn Sounding By Itself

Started by Moto61, December 13, 2020, 09:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moto61

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this Alfa 'feature'....Alfa 159 3.2 Q4 auto

When I turned the engine off after a drive on Friday the horn started blaring immediately. It wouldn't stop even after locking the car, but would stop as soon as I restarted the engine. When I stopped the engine, the horn started again. I ended up pulling the horn fuse to get it to stop.

When I got back home I disconnected the battery, reinserted the fuse, and all good - no horn. I locked the car, went inside and 10 mins later, the bloody horn starts again! I've pulled the fuse again to avoid annoying the neighbours with random horn events...

Anyone come across this before, or have any ideas?

-----------------------------
2007 Alfa Romeo 159 JTS Q4 (Melbourne)
2003 Alfa Romeo 156 GTA (NZ)
2001 Ducati 996S
2007 MV Agusta F4 312RR track bike

bazzbazz

Whats the voltage on the battery when standing still & engine off?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Moto61

Quote from: bazzbazz on December 13, 2020, 10:42:35 AM

I will check but the battery is only a couple of months old (and charging system was checked when the battery was replaced), and I'd just been for a long drive. 
2001 Ducati 996S

Alfa-mad

Quote from: Moto61 on December 13, 2020, 12:44:30 PM
Quote from: bazzbazz on December 13, 2020, 10:42:35 AM

I will check but the battery is only a couple of months old (and charging system was checked when the battery was replaced), and I'd just been for a long drive.

Could be the horn relay on its way out.

Swap the horn relay with the relay for the main headlights (same type relay) and see if the behaviour is fixed. If it works like normal with the relay from the headlights, then you know to buy a new one.

MD

Alternators have a nasty habit of being perfect one day and outta gogo juice the next. If the brushes are marginal it may develop intermittent charging  symptoms. Nevertheless, as bazz has suggested possibly a low voltage may trip it.(My assumption) Then again a low voltage would give other problems like starting issues so perhaps one of your security inputs is failing to provide the input to the security module?
Failing that, it's an emotional problem. Hates being lonely. I wouldn't suggest moving the mattress out into garage to cure the problem. :)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Moto61

Quote from: MD on December 13, 2020, 01:59:37 PM
Alternators have a nasty habit of being perfect one day and outta gogo juice the next. If the brushes are marginal it may develop intermittent charging  symptoms. Nevertheless, as bazz has suggested possibly a low voltage may trip it.(My assumption) Then again a low voltage would give other problems like starting issues so perhaps one of your security inputs is failing to provide the input to the security module?
Failing that, it's an emotional problem. Hates being lonely. I wouldn't suggest moving the mattress out into garage to cure the problem. :)

I have had issues from low voltage in the past & that was the reason the battery was replaced, and that certainly involved random warning lights...but I do like your idea of it being an emotional problem ;D. A much more realistic diagnosis for an Alfa! The garage is occupied by an MV Agusta and a Ducati, so the 159 has to slum it outside. Maybe it is sending me a not so subtle message....maybe next thing I know.....a horses head appears in the bed if I don't show it enough amore???
2001 Ducati 996S