105 Spider rear side trim

Started by marcphil2, October 23, 2020, 10:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcphil2

My 1976 Spider is due to have some accident damage repaired, so it looks like I will be addressing a number of other issues which have accumulated over the years.

One of these is the state of the rear interior side trim panels, which do not appear to be readily available and were cracked and brittle when I last disturbed them 17 years ago.  I am fearful they will simply crumble when I try to remove them, since last time I had to Araldite plastic reinforcements myself when I couldn't find a motor trimmer willing to attempt a repair.

Now I know I could simply carpet the area, but I am keen to keep the car original and have been rather fastidious with not making any changes, which makes the car rather special in my opinion.

I would therefore be very interested in any one else's experience with addressing this particular issue

Original Owner
2000 Spider Veloce
HTB 904
Farina Blue

bonno

Have you checked out these 2 suppliers for interior trim for your spider.
https://centerlinealfa.com/store?page=1&tag=Door Panels&model=105spider&sort=
https://www.alfaholics.com/parts/105-series/interior-trim/spider/

Update : The Centreline hyperlink does not function for some reason, but it will open up the centreline website and then navigate per the broken link.

marcphil2

Thanks for your assistance bonno, but neither of these suppliers stock the item I am looking for.

I attach the only illustration I am able to find, listed as item no 4 in red.

The following pages provide consecutive part numbers for left and right side trim, since the boot release is always mounted on the LHS irrespective of the driver's side.

105.95.62.079.00/3 LHS (red)
105.95.62.080.00/3 RHS (red)

Hopefully someone has had this problem before me and either found a reproduction part or an alternative work around of some sort.

Cheers
Original Owner
2000 Spider Veloce
HTB 904
Farina Blue

marcphil2

It looks like no one else has found this to be an issue.

I guess any surviving spiders have done so with their rear internal side panels switched over to carpet.

That's possibly why replacements are not available anymore.

Anyhow I have managed to use Q-bond to sort-of save them and they are back in the car, but I am still not game to try to fix up the surface.
Original Owner
2000 Spider Veloce
HTB 904
Farina Blue

JohnLW

If you cant replace the panels maybe consider plastic welding on the non-visible side to repair any cracks/holes and strengthen the panel? I ve used Dalkat Plastic and F'Glass Repairs, 8 Manton St Oakleigh  for plastic weld repairs to the bumper mounts of my '7s Spider, they are terrific.

marcphil2

Thanks for the input JohnLW but I have already attempted plastic welding from behind the panel with limited success, and I am in NSW, and have no immediate plans to visit Victoria.

I did find that the Q-Bond product was a little better, although the brittle plastic still remained fragile, particularly around the boot release fractures.

The panels are both back in the car now with the car reassembled, but I am not even game to have the panels re-coloured.

Perhaps someone knows if the panels can be 3d scanned and replacements printed?

Original Owner
2000 Spider Veloce
HTB 904
Farina Blue