Author Topic: Rear door window dissasembly  (Read 4091 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bonno

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1150
  • AROCA Member #: 8683
Re: Rear door window dissasembly
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2021, 12:49:12 PM »
Hi DcalÖ
The window channel on these cars tend to corrode badly, particularly if the rubbers/seals have deteriorated to a level whereby they are no longer keeping the water out. This sort of detail sometimes gets overlooked when carrying out repairs or rebuilds to projects and soon fester other problems, such as corrosion to inner doors and panels. By the way had a look at your referenced link and there is some serious rust repairs that have been undertaken throughout the build. This and another post here in Australia on the Alfa 75 V6 are an absolute a treasure trove of information and provide a future handy reference to other Alfa 75 owners worldwide.
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=7349.375
now
83 Alfetta GTV
05 156 JTS manual
past
00 156 selespeed
72 1750 GTV

Dcal

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
Re: Rear door window dissasembly
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 02:57:50 AM »
Hi Bonno, I found that thread while trying to identify some parts of my car while I was welding it.
It was a great help and I did tell him so.
It's a pity it gone quiet and I really hope the photos donít get lost because it's a real gold mine of information.
Mine was so badly gone and bodged in places that I had very little to go on so Shiny's thread was a life saver for me.

I found this forum searching for other details so thought Iíd try and post some stuff to say hi and thanks.
When I get my post count up Iíll post a few photos.

You are right about the detail.
My build was supposed to be a running restoration (as if) and I kept the drivers doors complete and only dismantled and worked on the PS which were in the worst shape. In the end it was about the only thing on the car I didn't strip out at the start.
Last night I pulled  the driverís side rear door apart and had trouble getting the window channel out. (I had to drill out the Philips screw half way down the channel)
I thought the fixing at the quarterlight just went into the channel but it goes through the channel and squeezes the door together against the channel at that point.
There is also a bit of insulation tape each side to act as protection and as a rudimentary seal, I assume.
On the PS all this was lost because both the channel and the door was gone at that location and I missed it.
The one on the DS is in good shape so I was able to replicate it now, (or near enough to function) but it's so easy to miss detail like that, especially if it's the only one you have ever really seen up close.