75 spare wheel holder

Started by jjperko, February 12, 2021, 08:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjperko

Hi All,

Just picked myself up a 75 twin spark as a spirited drive/possibly light track work in the future club reg toy. Its my  first Alfa so don't know these cars very well yet.

Had it in for Vic RWC today and got 3 pretty straight forward notes to fix up (Original steering wheel needs to go back on and some split door seal needs replacing).

The third fail was for the spare wheel not being secure. As far as I can tell the wheel well doesn't have any bolt hole or strap provision to hold the spare down?
Nothing in the owners manual or from photos online either.

My question is, did they even come with a central threaded rod, bolt or some sort of strap? Or do I have to re-test possibly without a spare to get it through?

Cheers,
James 

bazzbazz

Ok, I understand completely the steering wheel & the spare tire being unsecured, but split door seals??   ???

How the bloody hell is that a roadworthy issue???   :o

Now completely missing door seals, yes, as the door can rattle and wear on the locking mechanism, resulting in failure over time, but split seals? Or am I ignorant of something here?  :-\
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

jjperko

No idea why. I'm talking a 10cm area when peoples feet have dragged across over the years too. Won't question too hard as its easy to fix and they didn't ping me for anything mechanical.

Stephen Aarons

I am pretty sure if you just get the roadworthy done without a spare in the boot it shouldn't matter. No spare, no need to secure it.
Don't think having one is a requirement.
1989 75 3.0 (Weekend Toy)
1982 GTV6 (Project)
        oo=v=oo
2001 156 (TS Cup Car)
2015 Nissan Navara (Daily drive/Tow car)

Stephen Aarons

Also I don't think 75s had any way of securing them. Mine doesn't anyway.
1989 75 3.0 (Weekend Toy)
1982 GTV6 (Project)
        oo=v=oo
2001 156 (TS Cup Car)
2015 Nissan Navara (Daily drive/Tow car)

bonno

If it is a requirement for roadworthy certificate, then a simple solution is to fasten 2 x D shackle at opposite ends within the wheel well and 1 x 550mm long tie down strap (refer to following link of items). Care is to be taken when drilling holes for D-shackle attachment (bear in mind fuel tank/pipes on underside).
https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Ballards-Wheel-Tie-Down-Strap-550mm/53-TDN02?gclid=CjwKCAiA65iBBhB-EiwAW253W3rQFqS6IqQcnh-bDLF0s4eyb3B1zTvakKX-xTf1EmiStudsIAWFTBoCdfgQAvD_BwE

Domenic

Just take out the spare wheel and have nothing in there, that way it passes.

But the guy doing the roadworthy is an Idiot and i don't mean it in a polite way. I bet he would pass a 1960's car with no hazard switch as that's how it was from factory, but the spare wheel in a separate area to the occupants may be lethal in an emergency stop! Ridiculous.

From the factory Alfa Romeo never had the spare wheel secured on the 75, so he should pass it.

Regarding the door seals, they are get picked on due to the fact "exhaust gases" are able to travel into the car, there was some case years ago apparently a kid was in the car with it running and it fill up with fumes. Well that's how the story goes any bazzzzz....

GTVeloce

No restraining device from the factory. I just wedge hard foam into the gaps so it doesn't slide about when driving hard. Have thought about putting a bolt up from underneath and then getting a screw on plastic nut from another car but I doubt it would actually do anything in a real crash.

As an example, a few years a go I had a solid crash in a 116 GTV and the boot mounted battery (which was firmly screwed down using the factory mounts) ripped the screws out and the battery flew through the boot. Thankfully it stayed in the boot.