Airbag light on- how much to clear?

Started by JAM87, March 18, 2012, 04:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonno

Further to Bazz's comments, the information contained on this thread/post is very useful for clearing Air Bag/ Side Curtain air bags fault. I would just like to add that as Neil has indicated in his post the connectors should be effectively secured/taped to prevent fault from reoccurring and just as important to disconnect battery before attempting rectification procedure (prevent accidental firing).

bazzbazz

No, that's for use with early series Phase 1 GTV/spider.

You need a set of either of these -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3pcs-OBD2-For-Alfa-Fiat-ECU-Scan-Car-Diagnostic-Cables-MultiECUScan-Adapter-AU/283563901060?hash=item4205b9c084:g:MJUAAOSwzYteIfSi

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Diagnostic-Cable-Adaptors-for-use-with-MultiECUScan-Engine-Airbag-ABS/123720491908?hash=item1cce50e384:g:9nAAAOSwDZxTzmFI

Plus you will need a KKl/K-line cable to use with the Red Adapter cable for connecting to 147/156 or earlier Alfa series as they won't allow connection with ELM Adapters.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

SeleMatt

SeleMatt

Okay. So I connect to the ecu and get the middle of the screen boxed message. WARNING; Unknown ISO code. Module cannot be indentified!  Pressing y to continue and checking the error codes gives. 22 - Curtain airbag squib (passenger) Value too high/ intermittent/Present/13
At the bottom of the screen and flashing is the message WARNING; Invalid ISO code for selected vehicle system!

Unable to clear error code

Any advice as to where to from here appreciated.

bonno

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the orange and yellow connector located in boot applicable to side curtain air bag (refer to previous posts on this thread).

bazzbazz

If it says Passenger Side Curtain Squib then  it will actually be the Drivers side that's the problem, remember, these were originally designed as LH drive cars.  ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

poohbah

Thought you guys might be interested in my airbag warning experience.

Light came on in my 156 2 months ago when someone moved passenger side seat while engine was running.

I thought no worries, will get it reset when car was in for scheduled service (yesterday).

Received the dreaded "please call workshop" message 3 hours before car was due to be collected.

Wasn't the simple reset I expected -  actual airbag control unit was shot (car is 21yo I suppose...).

Cost of new replacement unit? $1500!!!!  Though they also had a serviceable 2nd hand unit which "only" cost $650.

I did briefly think about saying nah forget it, but I knew my missus would notice the light on ...

It was annoying as I had hoped to get away with one of those very rare "<$500" standard services...
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)