1750 GTV rear axle upgrade options

Started by Joppa, September 01, 2020, 09:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joppa

Hi all,

First time posting on this forum, so any issues please just let me know :)

I'm currently restoring an Alfa GTV 1750 and would like to replace the standard rear axle with something a little more substantial.  Basically, the 1750 axles (or half shafts) concern me as the motor has been modified somewhat and I would like to do some track use in future.  I don't want to run the standard 25 spline axles, and was hoping I could please gain some options from the more knowledgeable gents on the site on what I can do :) 

The most obvious seems to just try and locate a complete rear 2.0L axle, or perhaps use the Alfaholics/Classic Alfa gripper diffs to suit the 2.0L axles?  Would anyone know if I'm able to install the gripper diffs (supplied with the 29 spline side gears) and 2.0L axles within the 1750 housing?  Assuming I'd also need the crown and pinion which is fine.  My preference would be to use the existing 1750 housing, with 2.0L "guts" but am not sure if this is even viable?  eg will the 2.0L axles seal fit the 1750 housing?  I'd even consider customer axles if this is something that's possible to have made (however so far I found most customer axle manufactures are not interested in anything Alfa?).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  I understand anything will break with abuse, but would certainly like to mitigate this as much as possible.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Steven