Air recirculation flap fault

Started by johnny.drori, December 18, 2016, 02:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny.drori

Well, after searching for a solution for my AC problems with no success, I had to research it myself to find the an affordable solution.

The vehicle: Giulietta QV 2013.

The problem: my AC wasn't cooling and the air recirculation flap was always open.

The dealer diagnostic: a faulty recirculating actuator and the solution is either 3 hours work to fasten the flap in a closed position or an entire internal AC unit replacement. $$$$$$

So I have decided not to be afraid from Guly and relied on my off road vehicles mechanical experience and take apart the dash and everything required to figure out my options since I have since that it's possible to purchase the actuator only.

I was very happy to discover that it's easier than expected.

Taking off the inner front LHS center tunnel cover next to the throttle pedal (in a lhs steering configuration) revealed the Flap itself. Just in top of it is the actuator. As suspected, the lever arm broke.
Took me another few minutes to lock the flap in a closed position to start with. Than I have cleared the error codes and voila the AC is working again.

I have ordered the new actuator and will replace as it arrives.

It is my understanding that it's a common problem so I hope it'll help someone to save a few hundred $$$$.
The cover location:

The flap is the "ball" on the left side:

The broken lever:

bazzbazz

Its a common problem with many cars & Makes, kudos for taking tings into your own hands a solving it.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

GabAlfa

OMG.. just tried this on the weekend... boy.. firstly your photo makes it look so easy to access... not ! Secondly, did yo manage to replace it ? I removed what I thought was the air recir. actuator.. that wasn't so bad but it was the air distribution actuator, very similar but not right... my bad ! .. so after re-fitting I found the actual recirc. actuator... hmm... "that looks nasty ! " by then I felt my body was about to turn into some kind of amphibian .. I wish I was a double jointed contortionist. I cannot see how to remove it and replace it.... any advise ??? and how did you close the flap ????

Jess159

Hi Gab
same boat here on my 2011 Giulietta QV
The OP has listed instructions and pics for Left Hand Drive
Better than nothing but doesnt really help us, got a little time on my hands but i have attempted this before so not too keen

Can you share how you got the circulator out? Any pics or advice? I have a code for this showing in MultiECUScan B1908

Drivers side looks easier to access but pedals in the way
Left side not as easy as i can see two large metal plates underneath the trim which restricts a lot of access.

Thanks mate