New Alfa owner - 2004 156 2.0 JTS manual sedan

Started by emilio_89, May 13, 2020, 09:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emilio_89

Hi all,

Following up from my initial post, in which I received helpful advice from a number of you, I thought I'd post an update on the past three and a half weeks of ownership.

I picked up the car on 18 April 2020. Have been hopelessly in love ever since! Although, given the situation we're all in as a result of lockdown, I haven't yet had an opportunity to spend the weekend on the road for a nice long drive down the coast or up through country. Nonetheless I've still managed to spend as much time as I can finding reasons to drive a longer route  to work and other essential outings haha

I had the car booked in at The Italian Job in Oakleigh on 4 May 2020, with 121,000km showing on the odo, for major service. The guys they're were truly fantastic and happily kept me chatting forever about everything Alfa whilst giving me a tour of the place. It was essentially Disney Land for me haha

Anyway, had full service and check-up including belts changed and a new thermostat (parts for which I didn't have to pay as the dealer where I bought the car supplied them as part of negotiating the purchase, thanks to the advice I received on this forum).

Luckily for me, upon picking up the car in the afternoon, the guys at the Italian job said the car is solid, and running / maintained well. They knew the car as had been the ones to service it last for previous owner in November 2019.

In hindsight, next time I buy an Alfa, I'll have these guys inspect it before handing over the cash haha, because I seriously am lucky that I didn't buy a ticking time bomb, having read lots about the JTS online since getting it. Apparently, car was well maintained, nothing to suggest engine has run low on oil/neglected, no signs of accident damage. Seriously, they said it's amongst the best JTS in terms of mechanical conditions they've seen lately. Phew!

Other than the service, I fitted 4x Pirelli Dragon Sport, balanced and aligned. Were seriously cheap thanks to online discounting. The difference this made was obvious straight away in terms of ride comfort and road noise, so I'm very happy with them.

The drive is addictive. I hadn't owned a manual car in over 6 years, and so glad to be back in one. Shift is a joy, and performance and the sound of the JTS adds further to the addiction.

I've been surprised with the fuel economy so far. Getting 8.9-9.1 L per 100km which seems great to me for mostly urban driving, that said this may change as traffic starts to become normal (heavier) as lock down eases. I've been using BP 98.

Everything else in the car seems to work as it should, including the AC and all electrics. Stereo still makes a decent sound, and the wood trimmed wheel and shifter are a joy to hold.

I am still getting used to the enormous turning circle!

Next on my list of things to do is to enquire around as to an economical way of obtaining a second key, as car only came with the one (code 3 type). Car did come with all other books and records etc. including the key and radio code cards.

I've also ordered front and rear replacement badges online which are coming in the post. The ones on the car, whilst not too bad, are beginning to suffer from typical fading.

A couple of other things that surprised me. No interior rattles! Well, none so far. Also, the rain sensing wipers actually work as intended. As in, they respond accurately to level of rain. I've previously seen some that were hopeless systems. Also the momo leather trim, other than smelling amazing haha, are so comfortable. Compared to my Fiat 500 at least (haha), storage around the cabin is quiet good (other than the lack of cupholders which I knew and happily traded off). Lastly, the cruise control works really well, maintaining set speed well and easy to use, god I missed not having this in the Fiat.

I think the neighbours think I'm crazy given the amount of time they have seen me polishing every interior and exterior part of the car throughout lockdown, cosmetically car is great for age and kms. I hope to keep it that way best I can!

Thanks again for the good advice prior to purchase and looking forward to an update post lockdown on how I go really stretching her legs over a weekend away 😊

Safe driving!

2004 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 JTS Manual
1998 Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0 TS Manual (Phase 1, 916)

Colin Edwards

Seems you have picked up a great 156. 

The JTS oil consumption can be an issue if the correct oil isn't used.
I've not pulled one apart but I understand the underside of the piston crown is cooled via a spray of engine oil.  Given the extreme heat, engine oil will vaporise if not of the correct specification. 
Need to use a low NOACK (%) oil or Dexos1 rated oil in the JTS.
I used either Motul 8100Xcess or LiquiMoly Top Tec 4100 in my 3.2V6.
If the oil thickens up because its too volatile the timing chain and camshafts can wear. 
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

bonno

I reiterate Colins comment on oil consumption and use of correct grade oil for the JTS engine and suggest that monitoring of oil consumption, based on every tank of fuel be conducted to get an indication.  Figures suggest the rate varies quite considerably, with mine consuming 500ml per 3 tanks of fuel. You will find an abundance of information on the 932 Series cars and with the simple search functionality, posts on previous experiences and associated outcomes are revealed. If not then create a new post describing the problem/fault should be able to assist on the way ahead.

bazzbazz

Quote from: Colin Edwards on May 14, 2020, 11:27:01 AM
I've not pulled one apart but I understand the underside of the piston crown is cooled via a spray of engine oil.

You are quite correct.

Quote from: Colin Edwards on May 14, 2020, 11:27:01 AM
If the oil thickens up because its too volatile the timing chain and camshafts can wear.

This is a 156 remember, it has timing belts, not chains.

The correct oil for the 2.0 JTS Engine is Fully Synthetic 10w60 SN spec. I personally use Penrite, available at any Autobarn store.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au