The headlight shrouds/lenses

Started by SeleMatt, May 02, 2020, 08:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeleMatt

Evening all,

I've just been surfing around trying to figure out whether the headlight lense/shroud (the silver part with the lense in it) on the 159/Brera are replaceable as a separate item. My lenses are rather smokey and pitted and need replacing. I'm getting the feeling that they're part of the whole headlight unit and as such, not serviceable.

Is this the case?

bazzbazz

They are not normally removable, and no, you can't buy separate new lenses.

Have you tried any of the Headlight Restoration products?

I am sure someone on here can recommend a good product that works.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

SeleMatt

Thanks Bazz,

I did try something or other some years ago on Falcon BA headlights and it was a waste of money; admittedly they were a lot worse than the current arrangement on the Brera.

Anyone tried the Meguiars 2 step headlight restoration kit?

It'd want to be good at around $80...

gtv19

There are numerous suggestions on You Tube, although I have not found one that is as good as it portrays. Maguires did not work either. Good luck.
current,
alfa 3.2gt (q2)
159 2.4 Diesel Ti sportwagon
147 twinspark manual
past

105 spider (modified)
alfetta gtv twin spark
156 Ti selespeed x2
1.8gt`s 3 of
Alfetta sedan (sprint car)
105 series spiders(2)

bonno

You can buy a brand new headlight assembly on ebay for under $150 (Supplier loctated in Victoria & NSW). Please note that if the silvering on reflector is damaged then this will render it BER, as for the plastic lense there are products available to bring back to as new condition but again not worth the expense and effort.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RIGHT-HEADLIGHT-HEADLAMP-ALFA-ROMEO-159-BRERA-SPIDER-2006-2012-60695976/362912192471?epid=8021864638&hash=item547f4097d7:g:NoIAAOSwQrJbWxho

SeleMatt

Before I start let me apologise for not taking before and after pics.  ::)

So I bought the aforementioned Meguiars 2 step kit for $78. I also decided to tackle the headlights of the 156 as they weren't much chop either. Whilst they're not perfect, I must say the result is really good. The drivers side was pretty smokey and is now close to perfectly clear. I gave it three applications of the cleaner. I don't think you can overdo it. When the cleaner starts to dry out a bit, wipe off with a damp cloth and dry it off so you can see how far you've come. Then just add some more cleaner to the pad and keep going until the oxide's gone. The heavy duty kit has a pad that fits to the drill which would be most worthwhile.
Meguiars say it's good for 12 months and I think for an unrestored 16 year old car, it's a worthwhile process.
I managed to get it done with one of the 2 pads supplied in the kit, so I'll the do the Brera next.

Thanks for the tip Bonno. When I respray the bonnet and front bumper of the Brera, it'll be worth buying a new set of headlights.

Maltalfisti

Incidentally, while you're at it, what type of headlight globes do you folks use?
The only problem with the GTV6? They forgot to install the flux capacitor...

-Clint-

Quote from: SeleMatt on May 02, 2020, 08:36:18 PM
Evening all,

I've just been surfing around trying to figure out whether the headlight lense/shroud (the silver part with the lense in it) on the 159/Brera are replaceable as a separate item. My lenses are rather smokey and pitted and need replacing. I'm getting the feeling that they're part of the whole headlight unit and as such, not serviceable.

Is this the case?

The silver shrouds/plastic lenses are separate. The silver parts are actually 3 separate shrouds per headlamp.
The plastic lens is single piece, and glued/bonded to the back housing.