Indicator Stalk Shorting

Started by 156Buck, March 27, 2020, 10:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

156Buck

The Berlina ('72 2000) has a case of rapid indicator flashing and to me the indicator stalk feels very very loose and sloppy, so I thought I'd have a look and see if there were bad connections or earths and things loose anywhere. Whilst fiddling I noticed that when indicating right and allowing the stalk to over travel and twist slightly (as the lower plastic column is missing at this point and upper dislodged a bit) that it would short and instantly a fume of smoke would fly out from the upper steering plastic cover! Took off the steering wheel, turns out the mechanism was full grease, which I assume was causing the smoke when locally heated by the short (hopefully). Indicators all work as they were (still rapid) after all this.

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of shorting? Is this just a design flaw by factory and the indicator stalk guide in the plastic housing is the only thing stopping this? Its got me stumped as to whats its shorting onto and quite concerned as this is could be a real fire hazard as the stalk ages more and gets even more sloppy in future.

Pic's to refresh the memory

Cheers all and keep well,

Jake

'01 156 TS
'72 Berlina 2000

Merv

These are delicate mechanisms and they wear out over time.  You could fiddle around for ages and maybe get lucky, but if it was me I would try to buy a new indicator/flasher unit.  Classic Alfa has them but not sure if they are for the 105 series.  Perhaps check with Robert at Manning Motors and see if he has a good spare, used one.  He also has a stash of shrouds for the steering column.
Thanks Merv
Cars:
Alfa Romeo Veloce 1750 1/1969
Porsche 911, 3.2 1988
Porsche 911 1968 (sold)
Porsche 356S 1962
Alfa GTV 1750 (sold)
Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 (sold)

Gary Pearce

Rapid flashing usually means one globe not working.....might even be the repeater on the side.
Grease is an insulator, so any heat could be from a worn contact. Don't over travel the stalk.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

156Buck

I think your spot on Gary! Left repeater seems to be burnt out. I've just got new globes to replace them.
To replace the side repeater bulb can you get access by pulling the assembly through the fender or is it all done in the wheel well?

The stalk mechanism is working as it should, so I probably wont replace until it isn't. No kind of shorting or smoke has occurred whilst driving or even when trying to recreate the same situation with the lower cover off, so hopefully it stays that way!

Cheers all,

Jake

'01 156 TS
'72 Berlina 2000

Gary Pearce

Repeater globe is replaced under the guard. Grommet pulls off and the globe holder just pulls out of the light then twist globe. 4w bs small glass globe.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

dfrye

These column stalks are a shitty design - from the dodgy indicator return spring to the tendency for them to either short and burn the contacts to the main beams not staying on unless it is wiggled just right. I bought an Alfaholics reproduction about 5 years ago and noticed  tonight it is now not working the main beams properly.

Does anyone know if there is a remanufactured unit that just works?

//dean

dfrye

Can anyone vouch for a repro column stalk for 105 coupe? As I mentioned, the alfaholics unit I purchased has failed after barely any use. The main beams have become dicky.

//dean

1750GTV

This is an old post but I had the same issue with my indicator/headlight switch. The problem is that the fine contacts take the full current load in the lighting circuit so they pit and corrode over time.

I fixed the problem by fitting relays in the lighting circuit. Now the switch just takes the very low current required to close the relay.

The issue with the turn indicators remains, but is much less of an problem.

It's a crap design, but then these cars are now around 50 years old ...

Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

marcphil2

You might also find that the repeater return spring, which is coiled around the steering shaft and greased, can eventually wear thin causing increased resistance heating and the grease to smoke.

I replaced it about 20 years ago and seems to be working well with the original stalk control and without relay mods.
Original Owner
2000 Spider Veloce
HTB 904
Farina Blue