TS TIME BOMB

Started by MD, March 21, 2020, 10:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTV-074

Wow thats really taken a beating.....

Cracks on the gear and the shaft looks all chopped up...

Nasty...
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

Colin Edwards

Hi MD,

Great photos.  Now we are getting somewhere!!

The fractures explain how it failed or at least the cause of the loss of interference fit.  Just now need to explore why did the sprocket boss fracture?

The design in the two most recent images is significantly different to that in the earlier photo.  The sprocket boss wall thickness appears much thinner.  Are these sprockets from similar engines?  Which is the earlier / later design?   Both designs feature "lobes" 1800 apart..........curious!   The failed sprocket "lobes" are significantly smaller than those in the earlier photo.

All other things being eaqual, the failed sprocket is definately more likely to fail exactly as it has than the one in the earilier image.  The location of the fractures is no coincidence! 
Implementing a purely interference fit in this instance is not the issue.  The realitively thin wall thickness of the boss is very likely the issue and possibly the root cause of failure.  The interference fit causing the relatively thin wall to stretch beyond its elastic limit. 

The combination of wall thickness variation and direction of rotation probably determined where the stress is concentrated and where the likely fractures would occurr.  Now if the boss featured a consistant wall thickenss and say the OD was that measured at the lobes............................................!?!

Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Duk

The problem could be a result of stacked tolerances.
Where both the bore of the sprocket and the diameter of the shaft are both within their respective tolerances, but if you did the numbers for the fit, that'd be incorrect.
The broken shaft boss on the sprocket could well have been a result of a fit that was too tight.
That is, the shaft was machined on the high side of its diameter and the bore in the sprocket on the small side of its tolerance.
With the sprocket blank looking like it was cast rather than forged, the grain structure is less dense and more likely to crack.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

GTV-074

MD, whats the flip side of the larger failed gear look like?

There is a new one for sale on evilbay at the moment and i'm just trying to see what the other face looks like.

Cheers,

Paul.

GTV-074

OK.... Don't worry... i got which side is which now...

Cheers.

festy

Hey MD, your sprocket looks fine to me - but I'll swap you for my slightly used Nord one if you like?  ;D

bteoh

What would cause them to chip like that?  :-\

festy

Quote from: bteoh on July 23, 2020, 03:15:37 PM
What would cause them to chip like that?  :-\
The sprocket rotating on the shaft forced the woodruff key to split the hub.
The arrows in the pic below show where the shaft and sprocket *should* line up:

Amazingly, the engine was still running like this. I only discovered the damage when I found the missing chunk of the sprocket hub in the sump pan, and compared it to all the misc spare engine parts I had lying around until I found a match so knew where to go looking :o