Fibreglass panel replacements for ALFA 75

Started by Justin Jacobs, November 24, 2008, 01:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Jacobs

OK team jacobs now has a very rough but straight twin spark which we are readying for 09' club sprint season. We have chossen the modified class and one of the options being weight loss.
The bonnet weighs a tonne !
Any way it may have been posted before but does any one have or know where to get replcement pannels ?
Thanks in advance , Justin.

scott.venables

Hi Justin.  Try Mezevenf, I think he's a member here. He's in QLD and was going to do bonnets and boot lids in fibreglass.

Scott

Southern75

There was a bloke in Sydney in Five Dock who had some carbon compisite bonnets for a 75 ....

Interspec i think the company was called .. they had heaps of mod bits for 147 156 but had a few 75 bits too.

Also, Serpent Body kits have some front and rear bars in fiberglass .. and i don't know if you've ever pulled the bar of a 75 but they are really heavy.

I think with a bit of effort you should be able to get a 75 to around 1 ton, but thats only a roung gestimate after the weight loss i;ve given my sud and seeing the unecessary bits in my 75..

Good luck
Rust, nah that's not rust .... its iron oxide!!!

Alfas:
1977 Alfasud ti (race)
1980 Alfasud ti (race)
1987 75 V6 (toy)
2008 147 JDTM (sensible?)

hammer

Justin,

Not sure if you are still chasing lighter panels for your twinnie, but if you are definitely try Bernard (Mezevenf). He is a member of this forum and he has moulds for bonnet, boot, splitter etc. The bonnet and boot combo will save you at least 20kg.

You should definitely be able to get your twinspark down to 1000kg, depending on what sort of cage you put into it. Mine is 1050 but it has a full welded, eight point cage. Mine also still has front electric windows and full glass. Main weight savings are seats, seatbelts, carpet, underlay, sound deadener, door trims, aircon, battery and power steering. Ditch all that an you will save 150kg.

Cheers,

Brent

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Quote from: hammer on January 23, 2009, 11:25:21 PM
Main weight savings are seats, seatbelts, carpet, underlay, sound deadener, door trims, aircon, battery and power steering. Ditch all that an you will save 150kg.

Cheers,

Brent
Ditch the battery and you won't be doing much driving.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

hammer

Fair point. Ha Ha.

Try replacing the battery with a light weight gel cel or the like. 6kg vs 15.

Team Jacobs

Sorry been off the air during the EBAY 75 rebuild.Its a marathon and behind time but progress has been made. Thanks all for the suggestions.
We have the car well under the 1000kg mark before any glass or panel replacement.
No cage is going in.Despite popular opinion(this is going to generate response!) we dont think ones nessasary for club sprints. The alffeta was wiped out at PI but with top notch racing seat and harness dad just walked away.The 75 has modern items like beams in the doors and decent sills etc.. so we think just fine for track work.
Any with some taloring all the go fast suspension has been transferable from 116 to 75.
The bench mark time for us was 2.05 for PI so with a little less weight,more power and an LSD compared to 116 then we want to crack the 2.00 barrier!

About 5 or 6 weeks away now - cheers JJ.
PAST: 72' 105 GTV 2000 road car
           89' 75 Twinspark track car
         76' GT Alfetta 1.8 track car
        76" SUD Ti 1.2 road car

Brad M

Sounds good Justin, can't wait to see you and your Dad on the track soon.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

sean 75

well i was also wondering were i can get sum fibreglass panels but i was after front gaurds that are flared ive seen them on many race cars over seas but not sure about here... any 1 have any ideas on who would have them

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Team Jacobs on March 12, 2009, 12:09:23 PMThe alffeta was wiped out at PI but with top notch racing seat and harness dad just walked away.

Yep and my greatuncle's mother smoked till the day she died at 104, but I don't think smoking's good for you.  Sorry Justin but you're very quick and don't qualify as a 'just doing a couple of sprints' driver.  I didn't realise you were as much of a loony as our friend Frank...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Ray Pignataro

Even Frank is soon going to debut acar with a rollcage hopefully at Sandown. So much to do so little time to do it in.

Dna Dave

Claude Botti from Vic is in the process at the moment of doing a mould for a 75 bonnet.
1980 Alfa gtv racecar, 2.0L twinspark turbo
1991 Alfa 75 Potenziata
2009 Alfa Mito VRA Racecar
1974 Alfetta sedan
2003 Mitsubishi Evo3 RS
2008 Alfa GT 3.2L
2007 Mazerati MC Victory

Past,

Not that many 😜

Team Jacobs

Thanks for the tip I'LL try and get a hold of Mr Botti and see if he will share the mould.

Yes Evan I can't argue with the fact that a cage is safer, its just not faster!
Please don't compare me to Frank - he travels on an asterial plane above sight and sound in a another dimension.
Any how Frank could fit a cage and then add his body weight and the total would still be less than my heavy boned self!

What a top day for GP , am off to catch GT race now. cheers jj.
PAST: 72' 105 GTV 2000 road car
           89' 75 Twinspark track car
         76' GT Alfetta 1.8 track car
        76" SUD Ti 1.2 road car

alfagtv58

Quote from: Team Jacobs on March 28, 2009, 11:58:25 AM
Yes Evan I can't argue with the fact that a cage is safer, its just not faster!

Don't bet on it, you underestimate the extra rigidity the cage adds to the car.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti