Spider 1976 headrest size

Started by marcphil2, February 20, 2021, 09:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcphil2

Does anyone know if the Australian design rules caused any changes to the local import headrest size about this time?

The reason I ask, it that I recently purchased a full original upholstery set from Classic Alfa, and the headrests, after they were recovered using this product, look very squashed, (like someone wearing tight clothing), and the plastic bases which were formerly recessed now protrude.

Classic Alfa claim that mine was the first such complaint, so I was wondering whether our imported headrests were subject to a design specification, perhaps concerning roll over protection.

I do know that they were originally delivered in such a state as to prevent them from being lowered to sit squarely on top of the seat backs, but were they also beefed up somehow and enlarged, because there really is a marked difference in size between my old and the new size upholstery?

Having owned the car since new, I am keen to keep it as original as possible, so this might mean that I need to have the headrest covers remade rather than having the excess sponge rubber shaved out.

I would be interested if anyone can recall this information.

Cheers
Original Owner
2000 Spider Veloce
HTB 904
Farina Blue

GTV-074

I don't have a spider but a photo would help heaps and someone might be able to comment.

A 'before' pic would help too if you happen to have one.

Cheers.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

marcphil2

Here are some pics I took yesterday at the motor trimmer, holding the removed leather remake from 1989 next to the newly fitted ready made from Classic Alfa.

Also for reference a photo of the car in 1987, showing the original vinyl leatherette headrests.

They do appear to be quite different in size, and its not the camera angle!
Original Owner
2000 Spider Veloce
HTB 904
Farina Blue

JohnLW

I have a 72 Spider (Aus delivered originally) and have just redone the headrests with a Classic Alfa cover set (seats will be done at the trimmers soon).  My headrests are the originals, and are definitely the smaller size you show in the pics.  The Classic Alfa covers fitted fine over the original foam innards, just needed a few minutes in the oven at 40C to make them pliable, and some massaging to fit them.  Otherwise no issue.  Ive yet to refit the plastic plates on the base (one has broken across the centre), but holding them in position it appears they will recess and fit OK.

marcphil2

Thanks for the info JohnLW.  I am still waiting to hear from my inquiry to austcustomercare@fcagroup.com as well, to see if they have any records of mandated compliance, which possibly might still have been post your '72 delivery.

It just seems rather strange that my leather trimmer in '89 would have made them bigger for some reason, and since I don't recall them ever being smaller.

The smaller headrests certainly look great, so I don't mind modifying the inner material to match the ready made covers, but I am still curious if the larger headrests were a requirement for the 1976 (austerity) model.

Original Owner
2000 Spider Veloce
HTB 904
Farina Blue

shaggy

I also have a 76 Aus delivered Spider, and my headrest is the smaller type as well. It's hard to say for sure, but I believe the seats and head rests are original.

marcphil2

That's interesting Shaggy.  Maybe yours was delivered earlier in the year.

I spotted another 1976 Spider in at Automoda just last week, and would you believe it had the same larger headrests, so it looks like I will go ahead and maintain the original larger size and have replicas made locally from matching material stocked by Classic Alfa.

The rest of the restoration is still progressing slowly ...
Original Owner
2000 Spider Veloce
HTB 904
Farina Blue

marcphil2

I ended up having the headrests remade to fit the existing foam inserts using material from Classic Alfa.

The results were quite acceptable, and the car is now complete and back in service.

Original Owner
2000 Spider Veloce
HTB 904
Farina Blue