Wait, you did what...??

Started by Sheldon McIntosh, November 21, 2008, 07:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheldon McIntosh

Recently there was uproar on the BB when someone posted a link to a GTV6 with a Commodore V6 installed.  I thought 'meh', and carried on with my life.  But I'm bloody angry now, look what some redneck's gone and did done.........

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Alfa-90-1985-reg-Jan-V6-VN-Commodore-engine_W0QQitemZ150310723305QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Cars?hash=item150310723305&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Fast Eddie

Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Luke

Worse, a GM V6 90. On the plus side, it does look like a rather neat install (apart from the wiring.)

But, he's replaced the best part of a somewhat undesirable model, with one of the most boring and stodgy engines imaginable. I don't know who this will appeal to  ???

grpa9x

ha ha , i know this guy, he did the same to a gtv6, then when he sold it he reinstalled the original motor.
;D cheers michael

k76

The next question is: Is there a VN commodore about with a nord engine in it?
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

Mat Francis

i doubt it, for two reasons:

a nord engine would be EXTREMELY slow having to push a tank like that around

anyone driving a commodore probably isn't capable of keeping a nord engine in that small rev range where it will really produce power, and hence pass it off as "rubbish." no appreciation whatsoever.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

pep105

Yep commodore drivers who are used to a cast iron pushrod ohv dinosaurs like that expect to have maximum torque developed at 200 rpm below idle......
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Sheldon McIntosh

Nothing wrong with plenty of torque, in fact it's ideal on the road, and very useful on the track.  The Nord engine is surprisingly torquey actually, soon after I bought my first one I would occasionally accidentally shift to 4th instead of 2nd, and it had no problem pulling the gear. 

And as for the narrow power band, I'd have said a GenIII V8 is peakier than the Nord by a long shot.  It's a great peak, just takes forever to get there...

I'd be interested to know how much heavier that VN engine is though, cos I'm pretty sure it would outweigh any 'benefit' the extra torques would give you.  If not in a straight line, then certainly at the first corner.

alfagtv58

Not to mention the noise factor.  One of the best experiences about driving any V6 Alfa has to be the sound IMHO.

The Alfa V6 engine, quite simply one of the most magnificent sounding engines......ever.

The GM 3.6 V6...tinny rattly god awful sound.

Why?  Just why?
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

pep105

Quote from: Sheldon Mcintosh on November 25, 2008, 06:18:36 AM
Nothing wrong with plenty of torque, in fact it's ideal on the road, and very useful on the track.  The Nord engine is surprisingly torquey actually, soon after I bought my first one I would occasionally accidentally shift to 4th instead of 2nd, and it had no problem pulling the gear. 

And as for the narrow power band, I'd have said a GenIII V8 is peakier than the Nord by a long shot.  It's a great peak, just takes forever to get there...

Definately nothing wrong with plenty of low down torque, issue is when youve got an engine that runs out of breath at about 5000 rpm. The VN V6 has bags of low down grunt but top end wallop it hasnt. The two engines that in this 90 are chalk and cheese (Alfa 2.5 and VN 3.8

When the Gen 3 V8 came out a lot of people who were used to the old injected 5 litre didnt like the lack of initial response of the Gen 3, even though once you get it going past 4000 rpm it flies. The old engine felt quicker, gruntier - initially.......

As for the nord it is suprisingly torquey for a twin cam 4 potter engine especially if you compare it to some japenese hi po twin cam fours. The fiat twin cam is another.
Both have great throttle response and part throttle accelaration but still have decent top end mumbo. I can easily take off in 2nd in my 1600 Junior effortlessly.

Interesting to see how this 90 goes like, would pull hard from down low, and do great burnouts.
The handling would be interesting as i doubt its 50 50 now.
The sound is a big negative, now sounds like a SPAM aid as opposed to a mechanical masterpiece 

Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Storm_X

1st of all the 3.8motors are the worst sounding engines ever. WHY ? ???
wouldnt mind seeing a 5.0 tho.

as for the 50 50 i reckon it still might have it all at the back. i have seen a fj20 in a 116 and they just make custom spacers etc.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

AgeG

i dont think that this is Over exaggerating by saying that putting a commondore vn v6 enging into an alfa could quite possibly be the worst decision made by any one person in the history of the world ever!!!!!

It is wrong and should be met with severe punishment.

The commodore is a powered shopping trolley or pram, designed to ferry people, but in no way meant to be a drivers car. I follow this statement by saying the 3.6 v6 powerplant (and that is being generous calling it that) is one of the worst engines ever made. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner!!!

An Alfa is just that, please dont be putting different make engines in them, definately not Asian or Australian ones, like Sarah Palin.......its just not right!
1989 AR 33 1.7ie Red
2005 Citroen C4 Grey
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Silver
2012 Abarth 500C EsseEsse